Difficulties.

Hello there! I'll just cut to the chase, I'm sort of in a bad way.

I've been pretty stable for the past 3 years, with some relapses with my mental health being sort of sporadic, but I've always seemed to be able to rebound with my meds and get back into a good state of mind, currently that isn't the case.

I just need someone to help me out I guess, keep me in an elevated spirit and just, give me some kind of advice for what I should do.

Because right now I seem to be constantly see-sawing between fine and depressed, calm and then not calm. 

It's difficult at this specific time, and living with it seems to be less and less manageable. 

Thank you for your time.

tom_kaw

Parents
  • Hi Tom and welcome

All the autistic adults on here will have had the same /similar difficulties that you are experiencing, so we can empathise. I've known that I'm autistic for around 8 years now, but I still had a meltdown at work the other day, which was distressing for me as I hate crying in front of other people. Luckily I was with a lovely colleague who helped me get calmer.

Do you go out of the apartment at all? Sometimes a walk in the fresh air can help clear your mind, particularly if you can go to a place where you can focus on nature - trees, birds, maybe squirrels? Just plan it first to avoid busy roads or paths as much as possible.

I read your profile and see that you list music creation as one of your hobbies. I have dabbled in music creation in the past, and while it can be absorbing and uplifting when it's going well, if a composition doesn't come out feeling exactly right to you, it can evoke negative feelings. If that's happening, take a break and do something else. You can always go back to it if you are suddenly hit with inspiration.I

I like games too - what are your favourites?

You also say you spend time on twitter. Be careful with social media - I'm sure you're aware that it can sometimes impact mental health. Try to limit your time on it, and maybe wean yourself off it a bit by joining in with conversations on here. There are occasional disagreements, but most of the time people are supportive to each other.

Try joining in with the "3 good things" thread if you can - even reading other peoples posts about what they felt went well that day may help you think of positive things in your life, or may make you think it's not all doom & gloom like the news, anyway!

Be kind to yourself.

• I do go outside on occasion, mostly around the block and back,  otherwise with music creation, I can have moments of things not working, so I do as you say, leave it on the back burner and come back to it, and game wise…Titanfall 2 and Helldivers 2, and yeah I’ll consider the 3 good things, I’ll also take your advice with social media, thank you. 

Apparently this didn’t send… oops.

• I do go outside on occasion, mostly around the block and back,  otherwise with music creation, I can have moments of things not working, so I do as you say, leave it on the back burner and come back to it, and game wise…Titanfall 2 and Helldivers 2, and yeah I’ll consider the 3 good things, I’ll also take your advice with social media, thank you. 

Apparently this didn’t send… oops.

Children
  • I've not heard of Helldivers - what type of game is that? My favourites are Assassins Creed Valhalla, Origins and Odyssey, Hogwarts Legacy and Fallout 4.

As you know, listening to music can sometimes elevate mood. What music do you like? I'm an older person so my favourite stuff is from when I was young - the late 70s, 80s and early 90s. Encompassing lots of different styles - including  disco, punk, new romantic, rock, techno-pop, ambient and 90s dance. Artists and bands I enjoy listening to include David Bowie, The Clash, Psychedelic Furs, U2, The Police, Kraftwerk, Robert Palmer, Human League and Prodigy.

Sometimes remixes/mashups can result in really good, creative results. I like this nine inch nails remix of 'I'm afraid of Americans ' by David Bowie

https://youtu.be/LT3cERVRoQo?si=RllGwd4gc8tL5oCS