Hello :)

Hi everyone. I am a woman in my 30s and I live in the U.S.

I haven't been given a formal diagnosis, but the doctor who reviewed my assessment stated I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers if it were still a valid diagnosis. She said I have type 1 ADD, social anxiety, and an avoidant personality. With all of this, I am still struggling to understand whether or not I am actually autistic. 

If I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers, doesn't that mean I AM autistic? I'm struggling with this because I have done so much research about the autism spectrum and the results that the doctor gave me don't feel valid or right.

I feel like I am just searching for answers. I know that within the community, self-diagnosis is valid. But in everyday life, it doesn't matter unless I have a formal diagnosis. I am not entitled to accommodations without a formal diagnosis. I could get a second opinion, I guess, but I don't know if it's really worth the trouble, time, or money. I just want to know why I am the way I am, and I want help and support in how to live my life in an easier, less exhausting way.

Anyway, I'm so new to this, and I'm just looking for a community of people like me.

Parents
  • Hi there! It sounds like you're really diving deep into the discovery of "you-niverse" – gotta love the journey, right? If you've been told you'd have been diagnosed with Aspergers, then yes, it does technically mean you're on the autism spectrum. It's like being told you could've won the spelling bee if only "aspergers" and "autistic" were the words to spell! Sweat smile

Getting a formal diagnosis can definitely be a trek—kinda like finding a lost sock in the laundry of life. But hey, finding folks who share your experiences can be super helpful and less tiring than solo research marathons. Welcome aboard the community express!

Reply Children
No Data