New here- trouble getting my son to brush his teeth

My son is 5 and was brushing his teeth (a little/as best he could) until recently. He' never been keen on doing it and absolutely HATES the dentists (we have tried multiple things with this but every appointment it sounds like he' being murdered) he now won't brush them at all. Won't let me or his dad near him with a toothbrush and I have no idea why other than he must not like the sensation. The dentist can't do anything to help because Lewis is too hysterical. Lewis is non verbal. Has anyone had a similar problem? Need advice!

• As others have said, I would suspect that the toothpaste flavour could be an issue. If you know flavours he likes then worth looking and shopping around. Similarly, toddler and baby toothpaste is less flavoured and it maybe that his taste sense is overly sensitive.

Similarly play around with different styles of toothbrushes and even ones with characters on if he has a favourite film or anything.

Might be worth narrowing down whether he reacts to the toothbrush or the toothpaste, just by putting some of the later on your finger and seeing if he reacts to smell or taste of it. As you  have already said, if I read correctly, the sight of the toothbrush sets him off. If it’s the toothbrush then your dentist maybe able to suggest an alternative, 

Finally, as suggested above make use of the helpline as you will not be the only one that has faced this. 

• Hi NAS35563 just wondering if  it is a sensory issue.

i have the same issue and find that it’s to do with the flavour off toothpaste and style of toothbrush my DDis using she is 5 and has sensory issues with hair brushing/washing, nail cutting etc. It’s been a hard slog with my DS who is 9 now and still can only use one toothpaste that is for 6 year olds as he doesn’t like any other flavour, but it’s got the recommended flouride so I don’t tend to worry. I offer the toothbrush twice a day and now it’s became a routine. We now use an electric that he only switches on for the front teeth as that’s where his plaque builds up he doesn’t like the feeling on the rest so uses the electric like a normal toothbrush, smaller head. 

Do you have child smile at your dentist maybe they could help with the anxiety.?

i know that there’s also a teethbrushing app if they are in to their technology maybe this app might help create a fun way forward with teeth brushing.

• Dear NAS35563,

I'm sorry you are having problems getting your son brushing his teeth. You may like to contact the Helpline team, who may be able to give you some advice. You can contact the Autism Helpline on this number: 08088004104.

Please note the Helpline Team do receive a high volume of calls and it may take you a couple of attempts to get through an adviser.

You may also find our Dentist page on our website useful: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/dentists.aspx

I hope this helps.

Federica Mod