Help please

My son has just turned 7 and we got told he has autisum one of his new things is licking his hands and scratching them or licking hes legs when you ask him what he is doing just looks dont think he knows hes doing it. I was just wondering if any one has had this or any advice eould be great thanks

Vicky

Parents
  • On further consideration, I do have a 'suggestion' but some people might think the suggestion 'strange' - but I will pose it none the less... If your son is doing this often enough that you can expect to see him do it again, then what do you think would be his response if you were to sit down next to him and gently start licking your fingers and hands, doing this for perhaps a minute or two, then in a casual, matter-of -fact way say, "You know... I am not exactly sure why I am doing this... Do you know why we are doing this?"  and just see if he has an answer...

I saw a man who gave an interview on tv once, and he said that his mother brought him out of a state of non-verbal autism when he was a child by simply 'joining him and then drawing him out'... he would sit on the floor and rock for hours and she would come and rock with him... and this, he said, gave him a 'connection to her'... commonalities between them.... and in response to her 'joining him in his actions' eventually he began to 'imitate small nuances of actions that she would initiate'... and gradually, so he says, he began to 'open up' and connect more with her, and then with the family...

Just a thought...

And just another thought:

Dear Lady, never let anyone infer that 'uniqueness' is somehow 'a flaw'... It is the rose of a different color that stands out as being the most beautiful in the garden...  Unfortunately some people can't see beauty as it is, but expect 'conformity to the norm' as the definition of what 'is' or 'is not'  okay... But my personal opinion is that such people's standards are as flawed as their vision.... : )

• I will try that and what a lovely words you sent

Reply Children
No Data