Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • It is too easy to feel guilty about these things. It is a big part of motherhood to feel responsible for the way our children turn out. There are hundreds of crazy theories about what may cause asd and most of them are nonsense. MMR, for example was blamed for a while.

Most drugs are out of the body in a fairly short time, or reduced to an insignificant amount. I think that you would probably have to be taking a drug, while pregnant, for it to have any effect.

Heredity has some effect. Perhaps you have a relative with asd.

I am inclined to think that it is better to look forward, not back. Even if there was some small thing that you did, which contributed a little to the outcome, you did not know, cannot change what is past, and should focus on accepting and enjoying your children, just as they are. Focus on the needs of the family today and into the future.

Guilt will undermine you and contribute nothing to your wellbeing for the future.

• It is too easy to feel guilty about these things. It is a big part of motherhood to feel responsible for the way our children turn out. There are hundreds of crazy theories about what may cause asd and most of them are nonsense. MMR, for example was blamed for a while.

Most drugs are out of the body in a fairly short time, or reduced to an insignificant amount. I think that you would probably have to be taking a drug, while pregnant, for it to have any effect.

Heredity has some effect. Perhaps you have a relative with asd.

I am inclined to think that it is better to look forward, not back. Even if there was some small thing that you did, which contributed a little to the outcome, you did not know, cannot change what is past, and should focus on accepting and enjoying your children, just as they are. Focus on the needs of the family today and into the future.

Guilt will undermine you and contribute nothing to your wellbeing for the future.

Children
No Data