Advice on Managing Sensory Overload in Everyday Life

Hello

I'm struggling with sensory overload in my daily life and would greatly appreciate some guidance from the community. I often find myself overwhelmed by loud noises, bright lights, and crowded spaces, which can lead to anxiety and exhaustion.

I'm curious to know how others manage sensory overload and what strategies have been effective for you in coping with overwhelming sensory stimuli. Are there any specific techniques or tools that you've found helpful in reducing sensory overwhelm and maintaining a sense of calm? https://community.autism.org.uk/f/health-and-wellbeing [link removed by moderator]

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.

Warm regards,

Parents
  • I can totally relate. I am still trying to fully understand all of this. I was diagnosed at the age of 40 so I am very late to the party and trying to figure it all out. I have always felt like I only have so much tolerance and energy for anything. It's difficult to differentiate between times when I genuinely am just tired and stressed or if it's down to burnout etc. For example, at times I have gone to see a stage show, comedy act, whatever it may be, I get so far through the show and then feel exhausted and unable to keep reacting in the same way, such as finding it as funny as I did at the start. I can be telling myself that I am enjoying the show and this is a great experience but part of me just wants it to end so that I can get out and relax a bit. It's as if I only have a limited amount of laughter etc per day. 

I also struggle with days out, in the past I have had a day out with someone, just having a slow walk around somewhere, taking in the sights, maybe going into a few shops etc, not doing anything strenuous or stressful but by the end of the day I would be utterly exhausted. It doesn't really make sense but I would be totally drained. 

As I say I am still trying to understand all of it. I also suffer from depression and anxiety so that has an impact too. Thank you for sharing your experience, hearing other people's views really helps.

• I can totally relate. I am still trying to fully understand all of this. I was diagnosed at the age of 40 so I am very late to the party and trying to figure it all out. I have always felt like I only have so much tolerance and energy for anything. It's difficult to differentiate between times when I genuinely am just tired and stressed or if it's down to burnout etc. For example, at times I have gone to see a stage show, comedy act, whatever it may be, I get so far through the show and then feel exhausted and unable to keep reacting in the same way, such as finding it as funny as I did at the start. I can be telling myself that I am enjoying the show and this is a great experience but part of me just wants it to end so that I can get out and relax a bit. It's as if I only have a limited amount of laughter etc per day. 

I also struggle with days out, in the past I have had a day out with someone, just having a slow walk around somewhere, taking in the sights, maybe going into a few shops etc, not doing anything strenuous or stressful but by the end of the day I would be utterly exhausted. It doesn't really make sense but I would be totally drained. 

As I say I am still trying to understand all of it. I also suffer from depression and anxiety so that has an impact too. Thank you for sharing your experience, hearing other people's views really helps.

Children
No Data