Advice on Managing Sensory Overload in Everyday Life

Hello

I'm struggling with sensory overload in my daily life and would greatly appreciate some guidance from the community. I often find myself overwhelmed by loud noises, bright lights, and crowded spaces, which can lead to anxiety and exhaustion.

I'm curious to know how others manage sensory overload and what strategies have been effective for you in coping with overwhelming sensory stimuli. Are there any specific techniques or tools that you've found helpful in reducing sensory overwhelm and maintaining a sense of calm? https://community.autism.org.uk/f/health-and-wellbeing [link removed by moderator]

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.

Warm regards,

Parents
  • I expect everyone is unique in their approach to guarding against / managing sensory overload (albeit, there will likely be some common strategies and themes).. 

Sometimes, for me, in situations were I might anticipate having limited ability to influence matters; it can also be about actually adding a chosen sensory Input.  Basically, this approach is a self-distraction instead. 

Sort of: a sensory overload of my choosing.  E.g. to myself , silently: "ignore the child screaming over there on this bus, with their Mother, ...notice more: how the bendy ,/ prickly silicone hedgehog toy ball feels in the grasp of my right hand as I fidget with that toy".

• I live in country, no flashing bilboards, no big shops no big towns, it can still be noisy as I live in a village and we're near an airbase and have fighter jets screaming overhead sometimes. I couldn't live in a town again, when I go somewhere busy, I start wondering if theres enough air to go around? On the whole natural sounds are much easier to cope with, where I used to live we had the "maternity field" next to our house where all the ewes were put with their new lambs, every spring there would be a cacophony with the high pitched voices of the lambs shouoting 'Maaam' and the deeper voices of the ewes repyling 'Here'.

• when I go somewhere busy, I start wondering if theres enough air to go around?

If you are a logical thinker try to focus on the fact that people don't die in these places to the science must be sound.

Maybe try to see the bigger picture of the urban heat island effect causing the hot air surrounding all the buildings, vehicles and people to rise, drawing in more breathable air from outside. Any plants (even grass) will be creating O2 as well so it is a very established model that works well.

Sometimes this can be enough to overcome the less rational fears that try to drag you down.

• when I go somewhere busy, I start wondering if theres enough air to go around?

If you are a logical thinker try to focus on the fact that people don't die in these places to the science must be sound.

Maybe try to see the bigger picture of the urban heat island effect causing the hot air surrounding all the buildings, vehicles and people to rise, drawing in more breathable air from outside. Any plants (even grass) will be creating O2 as well so it is a very established model that works well.

Sometimes this can be enough to overcome the less rational fears that try to drag you down.

Children
  • Iain, I don't litterally fear there might not be enough air to go around, it's just one of those passing thoughts. I'm probably not a logical thinker, I can be very logical at times, but I'm also a very magical thinker. I think if you lived in such a rural place as I do then my sort of fear might seem more logical too and you have to admit that air quality in built up areas is poor.