I really hate the mentality regarding physical health associated with food and exercise (a vent)

For years I’ve been taught about healthy and unhealthy foods which left me feeling bad for myself. Yet many health experts keep going on how we should stop labeling foods as good and bad but still ostracize them in groups and use the nutrition labels as facts.

https://bodytype.substack.com/p/junk-food-needs-no-defense-healthy

I have a huge case against this and boy do I have a lot to say about it. One thing I get tired of hearing is that people who are obese are physically unhealthy and ill. I hate that belief because in reality the physical health in people varies in all body types, and it is nothing but an excuse to fat shaming.

another thing I get sick of listening to is the belief that healthy eating is a choice and obesity and diabetes is a choice. No, no, NO! First off, there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy eating. Eating is just plain simple, you eat to live. Second, one cannot choose to be obese. Obesity and diabetes have much less to do with eating choices and more to do with how their bodies function. If their DNA detects a disability within them, they are more likely to struggle. To label those as a choice is ableist.

Another pet peeve of mine regarding health is that people can get adjusted to healthy eating. Actually no, if you have an allergic reaction or are struggling with ARFID, this can come off as very ignorant. I know that for damn sure because I myself struggle with ARFID. I was often fed vegetables as a baby but sometime after ingesting it, I would get sick and throw up. I also had sensitive teeth so I am unable to eat acidic foods and very crunchy foods that require forced chewing. And no I am not complaining, I am simply telling my experience.

and finally, the one thing that infuriates me the most is the belief that exercise is required to stay fit. Hoo boy. First of all, this is once again an excuse to fat shame, people who struggle with diabetes and other health-related problems have done this for god knows how long and a lot conclude it hasn’t helped them despite what health programs such as WeightWatchers claim. One simply cannot lose weight in the blink of an eye and act like it’s simple, it comes to a cost. Quickly regaining weight after losing it is actually normal. And also it is dismissive towards people with depression, chronic fatigue, and other motivation-deprived conditions. I’ve suffered from depression for nearly a decade now and trying to work out is stressful as hell. Even the simplest of tasks wear me out.

In short, people should just learn to mind their own business on what others do with their own bodies. I’m certainly not gonna waste my time judging people for how they look and act. And no, I’m not asking for advice, I don’t want that crap. I don’t want to improve to others’ standards. I just want to be left alone.

Parents
  • The notion of labeling foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" can be harmful, leading to food-related anxiety, guilt, and disordered eating patterns. Food is complex, and nutritional needs vary greatly among individuals. The idea that a single label can define the value of food is overly simplistic and can contribute to a culture of shame. 

While addressing these issues, focusing on what works for you and your well-being is important. If you're interested in exploring natural supplements for respiratory health, consider https://www.amazon.com/USDA-Organic-Mullein-Drops-Lungs/dp/B0CKBPTPRL mullein leaf extract. Mullein has been used for centuries to support lung health, which can be beneficial for those with respiratory conditions.

Remember, health and well-being are not one-size-fits-all. It's essential to create an environment that promotes acceptance and understanding without judgment. We need to prioritize compassion and respect when discussing health-related topics. If you need support, seek it from those who value your unique journey without imposing unrealistic standards.

• I agree, there are foods you should eat small amounts of in general, like sugary things, but it is a choice.

My bugbear is exercise, being told that I should do weight training and running to stop me getting the osteoarthritis I already have, both of those may help prevent the onset of it, but once you've got it, you've got it. I also get told I should swim, I'd like to be able to swim, but I'm allergic to chlorine and believe me there are places you don't want contact dermatitis. There are no pools nearby that are unchlorinated or if there are they're way out of my budget. The theres the loud and echoing nature of the buildings the pools are in, not autism friendly at all. Then of course there' the fact that I swim like a brick, I dont' seem to float, I sink and don't come back up again.

I get given list of foods I should avoid by the well meaning, they can' tseem to get their heads around the idea that I dont' have a problem with wheat. My diet is restricted enough by allergies and intollerances as it is, then theres the things I don't like, its like you're not allowed not to like things as well having a load of allergies and intollerances.

I better shut up now, or I'll really go off on one!

• I agree, there are foods you should eat small amounts of in general, like sugary things, but it is a choice.

My bugbear is exercise, being told that I should do weight training and running to stop me getting the osteoarthritis I already have, both of those may help prevent the onset of it, but once you've got it, you've got it. I also get told I should swim, I'd like to be able to swim, but I'm allergic to chlorine and believe me there are places you don't want contact dermatitis. There are no pools nearby that are unchlorinated or if there are they're way out of my budget. The theres the loud and echoing nature of the buildings the pools are in, not autism friendly at all. Then of course there' the fact that I swim like a brick, I dont' seem to float, I sink and don't come back up again.

I get given list of foods I should avoid by the well meaning, they can' tseem to get their heads around the idea that I dont' have a problem with wheat. My diet is restricted enough by allergies and intollerances as it is, then theres the things I don't like, its like you're not allowed not to like things as well having a load of allergies and intollerances.

I better shut up now, or I'll really go off on one!

Children
No Data