Advice on my plan

Yo guys, its Wei. 20 years old male.

Today, I have gone to a mental health service and it wasn't very helpful in my opinion because all she did was telling me what i already know and that the thoughts that gone through my brain was all false which i disagree but it was clear i suffer from Asperger and she wasn't a GP so it was a "solution" attempt she said so she wasn't able to give me a prescription. (Read my previous post if you want more information on my situation)

But i have been watching videos of a clinical psychiatrist and also a professor of a university so he teaches lectures and records them on YouTube, name Dr Jordan Perterson. After watching and follow up some of his many works the past month i have found some encouragement in me and like to move forward but just in case my plan is terrible so i'd ask for some advice here and thanks in advance.

I am currently studying Games Technology and its quite likely that i am going to be required to resit even if i try to work for it right now because I have almost 0 knowledge of what is going on and the project deadline is in 6 days. So instead of trying so hard on this course that i chose to be my escape from reality as it is an introvert course dealing with computers that doesn't require much social interaction. i'll like to face my problems from now on and do what i think i'd want to do and want to give my all at.

My plan is instead of fighting a loosing battle or attempt to fight it again, i'll move toward a new course, i don't know what University i will be going to study this but its going to be Psychology. I will like to know more about my thoughts and myself by learning this course and i am going to try to read books, hard books that I never did before. But before going to University, i will take a year gap for once and take it easy for a year from studying, potentially sort my life out while prepare and research more on the topic of psychology and do readings about it. When i go to the University i plan to at the start of every module/lecture i'll introduce myself to everyone that i suffer from Asperger and would like to make friend with everyone despite having difficulty associating with people and hope many of them would accept it.

What are your thoughts on this? Please give me any advice or insight you think is appropriate. (This is a bit leading opinion but in another words, i am giving up on current course and try to persuade myself that i can move on and do better)

I will try and face this difficult path and get pass the fear of failure for real this time is what i believe right now.

Parents
  • Dear NAS36787,

Firstly I would like to offer that, to my knowledge, I have not read any of your previous posts, but from your mention of being accused of ‘faulty thinking,’ in your post here, it sounds to me as if you met with a CBT Therapist in the Mental Health Service. CBT is a type of support/therapy which is actually built on the solid assumption that people must have ‘faulty thinking’ otherwise they would be feeling okay. I personally despise this approach for many reasons, this ‘faulty thinking’ premise being one of them, and I would therefore like to offer you my (biased) but utmost respect in that you have instead decided to trust your own judgement, trust your own thoughts, your own feelings, your own instincts, and have recognised for yourself that the person who knows you and knows what is best for you, is most often you.   

Secondly, I would like to say how much I admire you for having recognised that your previous path may have been enabling you to stay in your own comfort zone, which (in my opinion) is absolutely fine if you so wish, however, having decide to challenge yourself so that you may grow is, in my opinion, worthy of utmost respect too.

I wanted to respond to the 'psychology section.' I personally cannot recommend studying psychology enough as, in my opinion, this subject should be compulsory study for everyone but more so, can be extremely rewarding and enriching for individuals on the spectrum. I have taught my own ND kids G.C.S.E Psychology (and philosophy too as neither were available in schools) when they became teens and it has been one of the best things I could have ever done for them.

Studying psychology together has enabled them a narrative, a vocabulary, a greater understanding of the ways in which we humans think, behave and respond; and this learning has ‘filled in the gaps’ for them in so many ways that none of us could have previously foreseen. It has given them the words and the context they needed in order to make sense of their own experiences, and has offered them valuable insights into themselves and others too, in positive ways which they have been able to adapt and use confidently in their everyday lives.

I therefore cannot emphasise enough how studying psychology can be particularly excellent for kids, young people and adults on the spectrum. So I would wholeheartedly offer, go for it!

Perhaps you could study G.C.S.E or A Level Psychology in your upcoming gap year, either an evening course at a local centre or online perhaps, in preparation for choosing to study it at Uni next year?

Very best of luck with your new path, it sounds like a great adventure to me! Relaxed

• Thank you very much for your reply, your a savior <3

I am trying hard to be positive at the moment and telling my friends about my situation while waiting to be diagnosed again and get a prescription so i don't need to explain too much and get a label I require some special needs or care to deal with to put me at ease i guess.

It was quite a struggle to keep my head on "just go for it, you can do it!" for the psychology study but it's pretty much settling now and I recognised it'll be a hard path but only to be overcome with. I never knew you can still sit GCSE or A level. This kind of surprised me, i'll try look into how to do so and hopefully I'll get to do one since i was planning to self study some psychology materiel during the gap year anyways.

• Thank you very much for your reply, your a savior <3

I am trying hard to be positive at the moment and telling my friends about my situation while waiting to be diagnosed again and get a prescription so i don't need to explain too much and get a label I require some special needs or care to deal with to put me at ease i guess.

It was quite a struggle to keep my head on "just go for it, you can do it!" for the psychology study but it's pretty much settling now and I recognised it'll be a hard path but only to be overcome with. I never knew you can still sit GCSE or A level. This kind of surprised me, i'll try look into how to do so and hopefully I'll get to do one since i was planning to self study some psychology materiel during the gap year anyways.

Children
No Data