Meltdown help

I have recently been  diagnosed with Aspergers, which is a relief that I'm not going mad but finding it hard to except it.

As newly diagnosed what I was  experiencing I now know I am having meltdowns. I know I can't stop them (I think) They are wearing me out. Can anyone please give me any advice on how to deal with them. I'm feeling like I'm ready to blow tonight and it scares me that I don't know what I will do. 

Parents
  • Hello ArtBook.

It sounds like you are going through a bit if a tough time at the moment.  Has the diagnosis triggered more meltdowns as you try and come to terms with everything?  It is a lot to take in and except.

I haven't had a meltdown in years - I tend to suffer with shutdowns a lot more.  Everyone is unique in what triggers them or how to deal with them, but I usually take some time out from everything after a shutdown or if I feel one building up.  Special interests and walking in the countryside help me as a way of relaxing.

If you find that you are having rushing thoughts that are building the possibility of a meltdown, then it might be worth seeking help from your GP to see what they can do make things easier for you.  Is there anything that you can do to release some of the building tension?  Hitting a punching bag or a hard run on the treadmill helped me in the past, but just make sure you don't hurt yourself or push yourself too far.

Have you tried to write down how you feel and get some of the thoughts down on paper so they are not going round in your head as much?  If this helps, then maybe a journal could aid in understanding triggers and what you are going through.

The main thing is to look after yourself and seek help should you need it.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Hello ArtBook.

It sounds like you are going through a bit if a tough time at the moment.  Has the diagnosis triggered more meltdowns as you try and come to terms with everything?  It is a lot to take in and except.

I haven't had a meltdown in years - I tend to suffer with shutdowns a lot more.  Everyone is unique in what triggers them or how to deal with them, but I usually take some time out from everything after a shutdown or if I feel one building up.  Special interests and walking in the countryside help me as a way of relaxing.

If you find that you are having rushing thoughts that are building the possibility of a meltdown, then it might be worth seeking help from your GP to see what they can do make things easier for you.  Is there anything that you can do to release some of the building tension?  Hitting a punching bag or a hard run on the treadmill helped me in the past, but just make sure you don't hurt yourself or push yourself too far.

Have you tried to write down how you feel and get some of the thoughts down on paper so they are not going round in your head as much?  If this helps, then maybe a journal could aid in understanding triggers and what you are going through.

The main thing is to look after yourself and seek help should you need it.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Children
  • Thanks for your reply. No the diagnosis has not made them worst. There is no set pattern to them. I have tried all the relaxing and diary writing and they don't work. I can't stop it I need to go through all the stages I have been asking for help from my gp for over 20 years with no luck so sorry I'm  not going to ask them for help any more. I have lost all trust and faith in the  System.