Back pain

Hi

i have some form of instability in my back that the doctors can't get to the bottom of, but the net result is back pain that painkillers don't deal with and it disturbs my sleep every single night. Having just read a couple of other posts and wondering for a while now about the possibility of some form of co-morbidity between autism and back issues, I thought I would just do a quick straw poll to find out how wide spread the issue is.

Thanks 

Andrew

Parents
  • Hi Andrew

I don't know if it's connected to my Asperger's but I did used to have bad posture, I'd roll my shoulders forward in a slouching way and had bad posture because of this. A couple of years ago I made a conscious effort to improve my posture and it has largely worked, I now stand and sit taller, straighter back and I feel better for it. I don't get aching shoulders, it's also improved my breathing, which wasn't bad but better posture encourages better breathing.

As Robert also said a good mattress is key, the firmer the better for your back, even if you prefer to sleep on a soft mattress.

• Hi Andrew

I don't know if it's connected to my Asperger's but I did used to have bad posture, I'd roll my shoulders forward in a slouching way and had bad posture because of this. A couple of years ago I made a conscious effort to improve my posture and it has largely worked, I now stand and sit taller, straighter back and I feel better for it. I don't get aching shoulders, it's also improved my breathing, which wasn't bad but better posture encourages better breathing.

As Robert also said a good mattress is key, the firmer the better for your back, even if you prefer to sleep on a soft mattress.

Children
  • This thread just gets more and more interesting thank you. So here is something intriguing. I was at a pain workshop yesterday called "the language of pain" project and out of six participants, 3 had aspergers, 2 had hypermobility, 1 had confirmed EDS, 1 had rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, and one had Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. What is significant is that 2 of the Aspergians also had hypermobility and the other Aspergian has Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Plus having looked at the EDS symptom list I have tick a number of the boxes. So all very very interesting thanks. The question then I suppose becomes, with those that have been diagnosed as having EDS, did it bring anything positive in terms of care?