Autism Spectrum Disorder or Austism Spectrum Condition?

Hi Everyone.

I have a question which I would like to start a discussion on and I will give my answer and my reason why I gave that answer.

Would you like the term "Autism Spectrum Disorder" to be changed to "Autism Spectrum Condition"?

The reason I ask that question is because it is a known fact that Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurological condition and as such, the word "Disorder" I don't think should be used to describe the Autism Spectrum Condition. The term disorder refers to something that is not in the order that people like to accept as being in order because it is different.

Each of us are indiviuals with different biological, chemical and DNA makeups which makes us individuals and autism like ADHD etc. is a neurological condition which simply means our brains and nervous systems are wired differently to others that people refer to as normal. What is normal for one individual is not necersarily normal for the next individual because they have different requirements and needs.

Do you agree with me and do you feel the same way?

Parents
  • Good topic! I like it! It’s hard for me to answer, but on one hand I can say it is a disorder when I had a meltdown because of a situation that causes me huge stress which I’m unable to manage. On other hand I can handle some situations that for others are much more challenging, but for me are not. Thank goodness I figured out on my own how to prevent myself from going to a destructive meltdown, how to avoid the trigger and soothe myself in various situations. But it’s hard, nobody helped me with it. 
    On other hand I would say it’s not a disorder or condition. It’s me, my personality, my wonderful inner world that I enjoy and I’m happy that I have it. NTs who had chance to learn a bit of it were fascinated. So it’s both hard to handle but also greatly appreciated. I used to want to be like others (normal) when I was younger. Now I can say, I don’t care about being like others. And even if there was a medication for autism, I would not take it. I don’t want to be treated from being myself. 
    Sure is one thing - the general population should be more aware and better educated also more empathetic towards people who don’t fit in. ASD/Asperger is considered disorder as a result of comparison to the majority. But it’s a wide spectrum. There are people with higher and lower needs and they should be met. for that research and better understanding are needed. I think we are on a good way. Amongst both - autistic and allistic people are those with higher and lower needs. So in this case I would say, autism is just a difference. 
    Once I heard wise words “I don’t struggle from autism, I struggle from other people” - from channel Autism from the Inside. Autism itself is not the cause of suffering. It’s the rejection and bullying because of being different. 
    It’s just my opinion, I’m aware of that others may not agree with me. 

• I do tend to agree with you there. Thank you so much for being so open and honest.

• Thank you for your answer. I would also like to add, that in one more aspect autism may be seen as disorder. Our vulnerability. Because of it we often get abused and taken advantage of. I personally went through a hell on the earth because of that. I survived, but now from the perspective of time I see clearly, that I was not prepared to deal with the cruel world. But there is a solution- support, therapy, awareness. I lacked that too in my youth.

• Thank you for your answer. I would also like to add, that in one more aspect autism may be seen as disorder. Our vulnerability. Because of it we often get abused and taken advantage of. I personally went through a hell on the earth because of that. I survived, but now from the perspective of time I see clearly, that I was not prepared to deal with the cruel world. But there is a solution- support, therapy, awareness. I lacked that too in my youth.

Children