I'm requesting personal input from autistic adults on teaching social skills.

Hello. I am a speech-language pathologist working with elementary school kids (~5 to 12 years old). What do you think about the direct instruction of pragmatic language skills? SLPs are tasked with teaching our students the expected pragmatic language skills for a school setting, such as not interrupting, taking a balanced turn when sharing, using "respectful language" with adults, etc etc. However, we also want our kids to know that it is okay to have divergent social skills and that "expectations" are subjective and variable. It's a fine line between saying "this is what's expected in school" and "you're doing it wrong." I want the students I work with to know that I accept them as they are, while still providing them with at least the background knowledge of what types of things people expect in certain social situations and why breakdowns may occur if those expectations aren't met. 

I want to hear from the perspective of autistic adults. If you have the time, could you provide you answer the following questions:

• What pragmatic language expectations do you frequently encounter as an adult that you wish you had spent more time practicing as a child? Why is this skill hard for you? 
  • If you could have told your elementary school teachers anything to help them understand you more, what would you have told them?
  • What do you think is the most important thing an SLP working with autistic kids should know regarding social-pragmatic langugae skills? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Parents
  • I really struggle with balancing a conversation (or at least I perceive myself to), knowing what the signs are that someone is interested/not interested and how to wrap up a conversation, and respectful language.

The last (respectful language) probably impacts my life the least now that I'm an adult and in a more colloquial environment. I struggled with it because: (1) a lack of appreciation for neurotypical rules around 'respect' - everyone deserves respect, and this notion some people deserve 'more respect' is odd to me- we're all people. I'm still awful at showing 'respect' for people who I dislike. (2) the way I process language - having developed a lot of words through reading, words have a 'situation' where they fit. Using the wrong word causes me discomfort (and makes me take a lot longer to write essays as an adult, because I can't find the 'right' word)- sometimes a swear word is the 'right' word for an emotion, or a thought is best conveyed by a more colloquial sequence of words. On the subject of swearing, it also acts as 'stress relief' for me.

Finishing a conversation/balancing a conversation- this impacts me the most in daily life, and leaves me combing back over interactions to work out if I committed a social taboo. I think this is likely linked to the multiple incidents of people saying something was 'rude', sometimes many days after it was said, but not showing a reaction I could interpret at the time, so I feel blindsided by the accusation. Similarly, I often want to be involved in the conversation as I am afraid of what I might be missing/the social conventions I might break if I don't pay attention to the conversation. As my brain processes and recognises patterns so quickly, it is also hard to balance a conversation as it is like the other speaker is talking too slowly- I have a good idea of what they're going to say before it is said. 

I wish my teachers had realised how much I really was trying. Yes it wasn't always at my full potential, but that is because my brain was/is so busy, just being inside my head is overwhelming a lot of the time. The NT adult perception of me asking 'why' and wanting to be involved in every conversation as insolent and nosey ignored the obvious truth: kids are so curious! Autistic kids (and adults) throughout the spectrum even moreso. One day I hope we can stop seeing malevolence in every interaction.

A few things that might have helped me as a kid:

-Nonverbal signs a conversation is ending/the other person is loosing interest (e.g. feet pointing the other way - that was easy for me to get to grips with)

-Emphasising the patterns of social situations and how they can practice them - this does border a little on encouraging masking and can be absolutely exhausting, but equally can be quite reassuring once you know what to look for

-Explanations! All the time an explanation contains new information, I will be more than happy to listen to it - in my own teaching, I'm struggling to get a balance between over-explaining and giving enough information, but explaining why things like school appropriate language are used can help autistic children categorise and understand. I saw someone describe small talk "as a way to let the other  know you're a safe person" which I quite liked. 

Obviously these are specific to my experiences, but good luck with your efforts!

• I really struggle with balancing a conversation (or at least I perceive myself to), knowing what the signs are that someone is interested/not interested and how to wrap up a conversation, and respectful language.

The last (respectful language) probably impacts my life the least now that I'm an adult and in a more colloquial environment. I struggled with it because: (1) a lack of appreciation for neurotypical rules around 'respect' - everyone deserves respect, and this notion some people deserve 'more respect' is odd to me- we're all people. I'm still awful at showing 'respect' for people who I dislike. (2) the way I process language - having developed a lot of words through reading, words have a 'situation' where they fit. Using the wrong word causes me discomfort (and makes me take a lot longer to write essays as an adult, because I can't find the 'right' word)- sometimes a swear word is the 'right' word for an emotion, or a thought is best conveyed by a more colloquial sequence of words. On the subject of swearing, it also acts as 'stress relief' for me.

Finishing a conversation/balancing a conversation- this impacts me the most in daily life, and leaves me combing back over interactions to work out if I committed a social taboo. I think this is likely linked to the multiple incidents of people saying something was 'rude', sometimes many days after it was said, but not showing a reaction I could interpret at the time, so I feel blindsided by the accusation. Similarly, I often want to be involved in the conversation as I am afraid of what I might be missing/the social conventions I might break if I don't pay attention to the conversation. As my brain processes and recognises patterns so quickly, it is also hard to balance a conversation as it is like the other speaker is talking too slowly- I have a good idea of what they're going to say before it is said. 

I wish my teachers had realised how much I really was trying. Yes it wasn't always at my full potential, but that is because my brain was/is so busy, just being inside my head is overwhelming a lot of the time. The NT adult perception of me asking 'why' and wanting to be involved in every conversation as insolent and nosey ignored the obvious truth: kids are so curious! Autistic kids (and adults) throughout the spectrum even moreso. One day I hope we can stop seeing malevolence in every interaction.

A few things that might have helped me as a kid:

-Nonverbal signs a conversation is ending/the other person is loosing interest (e.g. feet pointing the other way - that was easy for me to get to grips with)

-Emphasising the patterns of social situations and how they can practice them - this does border a little on encouraging masking and can be absolutely exhausting, but equally can be quite reassuring once you know what to look for

-Explanations! All the time an explanation contains new information, I will be more than happy to listen to it - in my own teaching, I'm struggling to get a balance between over-explaining and giving enough information, but explaining why things like school appropriate language are used can help autistic children categorise and understand. I saw someone describe small talk "as a way to let the other  know you're a safe person" which I quite liked. 

Obviously these are specific to my experiences, but good luck with your efforts!

Children
No Data