Blue Badge

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a blue badge application for a "high functioning" adult?

I've been given the "risk in traffic" application form. And the first thing that is immediately apparent is that this is most certainly NOT "hidden disability" friendly.

The whole application process looks like it needs a major overhaul.

I get extreme anxiety and sensory overload when trying to park 2 inches away from other cars and strangers. I'll often be parking at the far reaches of the car park just to be away from other people.

Apparently I should be entitled to a blue badge. But nothing in this form suggests to me that I am.

I also need a "counter signatory" from a healthcare professional, excluding a GP of course. Because doctors are not healthcare professionals presumably. A social care or teaching professional.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Parents
  • As a physically disabled person with walking difficulties who has a blue badge, I am struggling a bit to understand why you think you need one? You seem to want the larger parking space, which is to allow for wheelchair access, not ease of parking. What you seem to need is a quiet place to park. If you have no walking difficulties, can you not just park further away, like in the quiet corner, or even a few streets away and walk in? I cannot do that as I cannot walk far enough, I have to park as close as possible to the place I am going as my walking ability is limited. The wheelchair user cannot use a normal sized space as they are then not able to get in and out of their car. Can you maybe explain a bit more?

• Well I've been doing exactly as you say for years. I park very far away if necessary as I can walk fine and don't have a wheelchair.

But imagine something that causes you sensory overload or just generally stresses you out a great deal.

That's how I feel in regular parking spaces. Even the far away ones.

So, given that the premise of these disabled parking spaces is to make it easier for people with disabilities (including "hidden") to access convenient parking. I don't see why this should exclude me.

In my area. 90% of people parking in disabled access parking spaces don't even have a blue badge anyway. They're just self-entitled twats. So I understand the frustration.

• Well I've been doing exactly as you say for years. I park very far away if necessary as I can walk fine and don't have a wheelchair.

But imagine something that causes you sensory overload or just generally stresses you out a great deal.

That's how I feel in regular parking spaces. Even the far away ones.

So, given that the premise of these disabled parking spaces is to make it easier for people with disabilities (including "hidden") to access convenient parking. I don't see why this should exclude me.

In my area. 90% of people parking in disabled access parking spaces don't even have a blue badge anyway. They're just self-entitled twats. So I understand the frustration.

Children
No Data