Wanting to cook but anxiety holding me back

Hi, I'm new here, and hoping that this is something some of you might understand.

I'm 28 and have autism. I struggle in such a big way with seemingly normal every day things. Because of my physical health problems I'm unable to work but I want to become more independent so like doing my own banking, my parents do this for me at the moment. And I want to start learning to cook so I can look after myself as and when I need to when my parents aren't around anymore.

But there's a problem. My anxiety. It's absolutely monstrous and it affects me in so many ways, physically and mentally. I want to learn to cook but I'm so anxious about doing it for so many reasons.

I'm worried about,

• Giving myself and others food poisoning.
  • Burning myself.
  • Being a terrible cook. 
  • Food disagreeing with me and making me ill.

I know I shouldn't let my anxiety win and rule my life but I can't help it. It's got this bad that it always wins and I've had therapy and everything but nothing has helped me. 

I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Please help. I desperately want to be able to cook and enjoy the stuff I make. I've bought so many pots and pans, and cooking tools, but I haven't been able to use any of them yet.

Parents
  • You could play a cooking game called Cooking Mama. I used to play it on my DS a while back. It makes the cooking process easy to understand, there's lively music, and nice graphics. It's fun to chop and peel vegetables.

Also there's likely many videos to teach beginners the basics of cooking. If you're afraid to cook by yourself, hopefully you can get some help from your parents as well. 

• You could play a cooking game called Cooking Mama. I used to play it on my DS a while back. It makes the cooking process easy to understand, there's lively music, and nice graphics. It's fun to chop and peel vegetables.

Also there's likely many videos to teach beginners the basics of cooking. If you're afraid to cook by yourself, hopefully you can get some help from your parents as well. 

Children
  • OMG yes I forgot Cooking Mama!!!! I did used to play it on my DS as well lol back when the DS was new and the coolest thing ever lol. Mine was a turquoise colour, I used to play it every day for hours. 

I have been looking at videos on YouTube, a lot of members here suggested this as well and there's lots of beginner videos on there and they look easy enough to follow so fingers crossed I'll be ok. 

My mum is out tomorrow so I'm going to try and make a soup when she's gone. So long as I don't fatally burn myself and set the kitchen on fire it should all be good lol.