Why teenagers aren't what they used to be (UK)

I found this article really interesting.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220124-why-teens-arent-what-they-used-to-be

When my mum was 14 she had to go out to work full time.

When I was 14 I had a Sunday job as a waitress.

When my sister was 16 she was married with a baby.

I only realised recently that she couldn't have done that now - even with parental consent - she would have to have been 18.

'In tougher times in history, teens were forced to take a "fast life strategy", growing up faster, reproducing earlier and focusing on basic needs. Now life in the West is generally more forgiving, and families are wealthier – at least on average – so it's possible for teens to take a "slow life strategy", delaying the transition to more adult behaviours.'....

....'There's little doubt that technology and the internet has played a major role, meaning more interaction with peers happens online and in the home, where sex, experimentation and trouble are perhaps less likely.'

I've been chatting to an online friend who is much younger than me and it's put a lot of these ideas into context.

When I was 16 I considered myself to be an adult - I drank alcohol and smoked by that age.

The school leaving age was 16.

Now you can't  leave at 16 and go to work:

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2024/01/11/school-leaving-age-can-you-leave-school-at-16-and-what-are-your-options/

So, those of us of 'a certain age' need to bear all this in mind whilst in discussions with teenagers, and even, according to this article, people in their early 20s.

Parents
  • The are normal checkpoints and should be forced on adolescents before soCiety deteriorates  .due to their lacking will to be responsible 

• The are normal checkpoints and should be forced on adolescents before soCiety deteriorates  .due to their lacking will to be responsible 

Are you able to re-phrase this please as I don't think it makes sense?

Either that or the computer inside my head is malfunctioning.

Thanks.

• I think we infantilise young people to much, we keep them as children for way to long, I think saturday jobs are a good thing, it builds experience of a working environment and gives them thier own money.

You can have a baby as soon as you're physically mature enough to do so, whether its a good thing or not is another matter, however I don't think that belittling the maternal instinct in young women is helpful as it's often quite strong.

Marrying at 16 is an iffy one though, I think it's a hangover from the days when women were seen as property to be passed from one man to another and that if a woman wasn't married or at least engaged by the time she was 21 then she was considered "on the shelf" and past it. Think back to the women who were unmarried or widowed in the aftermath of WW1 when questions in parliament were raised about 'the problem of surplus women'. These were women who had little or no prospect if marriage or remarriage in a age when their legal rights were practically non existant.

Governments like cannon fodder, especially when its the lower classes who are doing the dying.

• I guess like any relationship people can meet at a young age and it lasts a lifetime.

I totally disagree that women had a better life in the past, I wonder how many men, particulalry those who say they did, would feel about being the sole provider for their wife and children? A guy who I sometimes meet walking his dog, has been looking after his wife after a knee op and says he'd rather work twelve hours down a mine than be a housewife, even these days with labour saving devices, like washing machines. He said he dosen't know how his wife or other women every manage to remember everything that needs doing, he said he's never had to do so much multi-tasking in his life.

Well theres at least two of us to fly the flag for women now.

I think young people lack defined coming of age points now, I think you should have all your rights when you're 18, adult minimum wage, voting, everything. Something to show that you're an adult, not some inbetween state, I think the easiest way of doing this would be for everyone to be Master or Miss until they're 18 and then become Mr or Mrs, no messing about.

• I guess like any relationship people can meet at a young age and it lasts a lifetime.

I totally disagree that women had a better life in the past, I wonder how many men, particulalry those who say they did, would feel about being the sole provider for their wife and children? A guy who I sometimes meet walking his dog, has been looking after his wife after a knee op and says he'd rather work twelve hours down a mine than be a housewife, even these days with labour saving devices, like washing machines. He said he dosen't know how his wife or other women every manage to remember everything that needs doing, he said he's never had to do so much multi-tasking in his life.

Well theres at least two of us to fly the flag for women now.

I think young people lack defined coming of age points now, I think you should have all your rights when you're 18, adult minimum wage, voting, everything. Something to show that you're an adult, not some inbetween state, I think the easiest way of doing this would be for everyone to be Master or Miss until they're 18 and then become Mr or Mrs, no messing about.

Children
No Data