You tube

I hate it, I find it really difficult to learn from, it's often to loud with music in odd places, everyone seems to think that it's the best thing since sliced bread except me, I know lots on here love it and often post links to it. It annoys me when I look at what I think will be an interesting thread and all it is, is a link, can't people give a synopsis so that those of us who don't or can't watch it can join in too, I don't have the tech to watch it or listen to it rather. I find it a worrying place to be as there are so many homespun nutters on there who's normality is brain warping. I rarely find what I want on it, if I want something British I find it's all American and for practicle things it's often all different. I often can't see what someones doing anyway, as I need to be beside them rther than in front of them.

Another problem is adverts, I hate being advertised at is there anyway I can switch the adverts off? On my normal pooter I have adblock, some sites wont' let me use them because they want to advertise at me, so I refuse them, I find flashing ads really distracting and they sort of hit a kill switch in my brain and I have to fight the implulse to chuck the pooter out of the window and jump on the smashed up bits. I have this impulse with lots of tech, not just that which advertises at me.

Parents
  • I find it a worrying place to be as there are so many homespun nutters on there who's normality is brain warping.

Sounds like this community sometimes LOL

I hate being advertised at is there anyway I can switch the adverts off?

If you pay for premium you can switch them off, but they have to make money somehow and you either pay to remove the adverts to they make money from letting advertisers dig through your browser history and target ads at things you have been looking for.

They are offering a "free" service and there is no such thing as a free lunch. Only non-profit sites (like this one with a .ORG site address) can give a free service but it is paid for by the charity or organisation who subsidise them.

Advertising is the lifeblood of sites such as YouTube  so by consuming the content from them and blocking ads, you are contributing to bleeding them dry.

I rarely find what I want on it, if I want something British I find it's all American and for practicle things it's often all different.

It is very American centric and since most of the content is home produced (even I have my own channel there) then it isn't surprising that most content is aimed at that market which is many times larger than the UK.

To find the content you want you need to make good use of the search terms - maybe find channels that have content similar to what you want and then look at the list down the right of the screen which are related videos - you often find what you want obliquely.

I do get the dislike of adverts but I tend to go do something different when they are on, much like on terrestrial TV.

• I find it a worrying place to be as there are so many homespun nutters on there who's normality is brain warping.

Sounds like this community sometimes LOL

I hate being advertised at is there anyway I can switch the adverts off?

If you pay for premium you can switch them off, but they have to make money somehow and you either pay to remove the adverts to they make money from letting advertisers dig through your browser history and target ads at things you have been looking for.

They are offering a "free" service and there is no such thing as a free lunch. Only non-profit sites (like this one with a .ORG site address) can give a free service but it is paid for by the charity or organisation who subsidise them.

Advertising is the lifeblood of sites such as YouTube  so by consuming the content from them and blocking ads, you are contributing to bleeding them dry.

I rarely find what I want on it, if I want something British I find it's all American and for practicle things it's often all different.

It is very American centric and since most of the content is home produced (even I have my own channel there) then it isn't surprising that most content is aimed at that market which is many times larger than the UK.

To find the content you want you need to make good use of the search terms - maybe find channels that have content similar to what you want and then look at the list down the right of the screen which are related videos - you often find what you want obliquely.

I do get the dislike of adverts but I tend to go do something different when they are on, much like on terrestrial TV.

Children
  • I Don't bloody care, I'm on the ADD end of the spectrum and pop ups and ads are too distracting to tolerate. 

No ads, no internet, fine with me.

I am NOT paying for my own brainwashing...

And I've got a mate who everytime I'm stuck on my bike maintenance project says have "you tried youtube?" No because its a time suck if you are on the ADD end of the spectrum, with vary variable outcome. 

Last resort rather than first go-to.

• I know these sites use adverts to generate income, I'm not motivated enough to use it and pay for no adverts, I'm not sure I actually trust it not to go ferreting through everything on my pooter anyway.  I rubbish at internet searches, people have tried to tell me different ways to get the results I want all to no avail, what really bugs me and weirds me out is when I do a search and nothing come up, I just get a page saying no documents found and then someone else does an identical search using the same wording as me and they get loads of results. I thin one of the problems I have with not finding stuff when I search is that I'm in a viscious circle where because I do comparitively few searches, its dosent' "know" me, so I get quite random or no results, because I don't get much useful stuff I dont' search and so it goes on. Of course also being a total technoklutz who can crash a digital egg timer dosen't help either.

I certainly dont' have the skills to make a transcript of what I'm watching, I dont' have a printer for that matter either.

I think every community has its share of crazies, but You Tube seems to have more of them.