Does having Asperger's mean you're classed as Disabled?

Hello

New member here -

I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago, aged 22 or 23.

I have  a question for you all.

Whilst trying to get a referral to Speech Therapy via Adult Social Care, I was told that having Asperger's is not considered a disability, but a learning difficulty.

What are your views on this?

Parents
  • Legally yes. They are using wordplay to deny you a service you are entitled to. A learning difficulty is also terminology that is no longer officially used. It is called a learning disability. So what they are telling you is what they class as a learning disability isn't a disability! Aspergers isn't a learning disability by definition, it can have symptoms which can cause learning disabilities. So they are also saying you have a disability that causes another disability. Sorry if I come a cross a little confusing but their tactics are a bit silly!

https://planetautismblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/aspergers-and-high-functioning-autism-a-disability-in-law/

That link explains things. It's a little complicated but it explains in the long term that Aspergers is a disability. If it has been diagnosed it has an effect on your everyday functioning.

I just mentioned it in another thread but they are breaking section 29 of the 2010 Equalities act by denying you a service. Frankly the way they are using wordplay is infantile and unprofessional. 

• Legally yes. They are using wordplay to deny you a service you are entitled to. A learning difficulty is also terminology that is no longer officially used. It is called a learning disability. So what they are telling you is what they class as a learning disability isn't a disability! Aspergers isn't a learning disability by definition, it can have symptoms which can cause learning disabilities. So they are also saying you have a disability that causes another disability. Sorry if I come a cross a little confusing but their tactics are a bit silly!

https://planetautismblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/aspergers-and-high-functioning-autism-a-disability-in-law/

That link explains things. It's a little complicated but it explains in the long term that Aspergers is a disability. If it has been diagnosed it has an effect on your everyday functioning.

I just mentioned it in another thread but they are breaking section 29 of the 2010 Equalities act by denying you a service. Frankly the way they are using wordplay is infantile and unprofessional. 

Children
No Data