Employer told I have asperger DISEASE!

Hello, 

I've been off work for 2 months and i recently saw occupational health. Yesterday I received a copy of the report from my initial occupational health appointment which has been sent to my manager. I was really dismayed to read that the nurse had written that I had been diagnosed with Asperger Disease. This has really annoyed me as I did try to explain to the nurse that Aspergers is a part of me and has shaped my personality so the suggestion that that part of me is diseased I find very offensive. I felt I needed to write a letter to occupational health and my manager to explain that its not a disease but my husband said I should let it go as Im wanting occ health to help me but I find it hard to see how telling my manager that I have a disease is helping me.

Would you write a letter to correct their mistake or am I over reacting? 

• PS, To ensure your manager, who is afterall the one you need to understand Aspergers, I would print off definitions and explanations of Aspergers from reputable sites. This would allow your manager to get more information than a simple one or two page report, AND allow them to maybe look online at accurate sites instead of some misleading ones.

Sorry am like a dog with a bone sometimes :-)

• I would absolutely write a letter - it’s plainly incorrect to call it ‘Asperger Disease’! I would probably back it up with a copy of my diagnosis and some fact sheets about Asperger’s Syndrome too, just to prove the point. Frankly, if occupational health can’t even get this right then I’d hold out little hope of them actually helping you.

What problems are you having with work? Could you request reasonable adjustments to help? Are the issues related to your ASD, as a workplace assessment may help - link here:

www.autism.org.uk/.../assessments.aspx

• Hi, I am new here, awaiting my first appointment for a possible diagnosis.

The term disease has now changed from what used to be a comminucable "disease" to a broader term. this is a quote from Wiki   it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections

I would say that in laymans terms this would be acceptable, but for a healthcare proffesional it is a slip I personally would not like.

I have learnt over the years not to jump to a reaction, but to wait a while until I can look at it calmer.

Maybe ask for a chat on the phone with your GP or another health professional, just to see if their use of the word has changed.

HTH