I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • There a few components to 'barriers' or 'restrictions' someone that an adult with autism will find things challenging. For example, retaining information seems simple for some, but for others not quite. It helps to go step by step and keep it short, simple and easy to interpret information.

Another element, is perhaps one you may have known it is social communication. For e.g. how to read 'between the lines' or how to start a conversation. You might of notice that people with autism or specifically adults have a literal way of understanding. Plus, things like jokes, sarcasm, common phrases an sayings.

For e.g. 'Bob's your Uncle'. For someone non-autistic they would refer to something being sorted or job done. On the other hand, an adult with autism would think Bob as an Uncle/ Uncle Bob.  Typically, most people on the autistic adults find forming relationships, friendships a challenge due to not understanding someone else's emotions or feelings whilst trying to express their own unsure how to go about it.

Having a routine is not uncommon for most autistic people as some may prefer to know in advance what is happening. Transition can be compromised if shown correctly, sensitivity (sight, smell, sound, taste or touch). There are two different types of sensitivity intensified (hyper-sensitive) or under-sensitive (hypo-sensitive). Depending on the severity and extent of the sensitivity this can cause anxiety, stress or physical pain.

• Not as extreme as the uncle Bob / Bob's your uncle example, I was once exchanging messages with my manager and he asked how many computers needed Windows re-installing. I said about 300 and his response was to just set them all going.

Now when he used the word "all", I set about trying to get them all done in the remaining hour or two left in the day, but felt that I couldn't meet expectations when only 90 of them had been started and I had to leave the building for the night.

• Oh ok, sorry for the late response. I understand where you are coming from. I am sorry about the conclusion of that particular situation. Perhaps the manager could of been more specific and explained it more clearly, actually take the time to show you how it works and then take it from there.

• I hear what you are saying. Because, one of the things autistic people are known for is taking things literally which the manager didn't understand or dealt with the situation accordingly. I hope you don't feel too disheartened. You are great at what you do. Don't let anyone make you feel like it is your fault or your less inferior. You are doing more than most people would.

• I hear what you are saying. Because, one of the things autistic people are known for is taking things literally which the manager didn't understand or dealt with the situation accordingly. I hope you don't feel too disheartened. You are great at what you do. Don't let anyone make you feel like it is your fault or your less inferior. You are doing more than most people would.

Children
No Data