Struggling to accept my diagnosis aged 41,

Im just wondering if anyone has come across a good counselling service for adult women who are struggling with their diagnosis. I got mine 2 years ago and still feel like I’m in free fall. 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

I'd suggest asking your GP to refer you for talking therapy on the NHS (or you may be able to self refer). Mine did this per the recommendation in my assessment report and I chose - after discussion with the triage team and after reading a particular book (below) - to have counselling rather than therapy, which was still available via the NHS talking therapies team.

More info on accessing therapy / counselling:

MIND - How to find therapy or counselling - this page contains links to several professional bodies with directories of accredited therapists and counsellors, and also suggests considering low cost online services. 

Before choosing and accessing a service, I'd suggest borrowing or buying this book, which has great advice and guidance about therapy or counselling specifically for autistic people. I found it a great help, and I know that others here have found the same:

The Autistic Survival Guide to Therapy

• Thankyou very much for your reply. I have ordered this book and will speak to my GP when I have read it. This is very useful information 

• You're most welcome - and I wish you all the best with your ongoing journey.

Joining a forum like this was another recommendation in my assessment report. Although I found the prospect quite scary, it's turned out to be very helpful - almost like another form of talking therapy. :)  

If you're not already, perhaps you might consider becoming a regular visitor, too. There's no pressure to engage with others, but you might find a lot of things relatable and helpful. And you're already among new friends!

• You're most welcome - and I wish you all the best with your ongoing journey.

Joining a forum like this was another recommendation in my assessment report. Although I found the prospect quite scary, it's turned out to be very helpful - almost like another form of talking therapy. :)  

If you're not already, perhaps you might consider becoming a regular visitor, too. There's no pressure to engage with others, but you might find a lot of things relatable and helpful. And you're already among new friends!

Children
No Data