Advice please....

My daughter (16) has Autism and had her first day at college today.... it did not go well! She struggled with the structure, the content, the people and the bus ride :-( She wants to change college... Do I help her to look at her other college options or encourage her to give it time and not quit and continue to liaise with her key worker? Any advice from parents or young adults appreciated.

Parents
  • hi :)

sorry to hear that your daughter had a tricky day.

i was diagnosed only recently and while i managed to get through sixth form i did struggle.

whether or not to move college is a tricky decision: moving colleges could mean a whole new group of people and different environment that is also hard, it could however be a good thing if they support her needs better. it's a hard decision!

while i didn't attend a college (i instead went to my school sixth form) after talking to some friends who moved to college, i know that the structure was much 'looser' and you were expected to be more independent. it could be worth looking at a sixth form (obviously considering your daughters needs and if they offer her course). in my experience they usually have more structure and better student support (especially if they are attached to a school). 

at the moment i would encourage her to try at least a week, it could just be that a new routine after the summer holidays is tricky and after the adjustment it could be easier? 

• hi :)

sorry to hear that your daughter had a tricky day.

i was diagnosed only recently and while i managed to get through sixth form i did struggle.

whether or not to move college is a tricky decision: moving colleges could mean a whole new group of people and different environment that is also hard, it could however be a good thing if they support her needs better. it's a hard decision!

while i didn't attend a college (i instead went to my school sixth form) after talking to some friends who moved to college, i know that the structure was much 'looser' and you were expected to be more independent. it could be worth looking at a sixth form (obviously considering your daughters needs and if they offer her course). in my experience they usually have more structure and better student support (especially if they are attached to a school). 

at the moment i would encourage her to try at least a week, it could just be that a new routine after the summer holidays is tricky and after the adjustment it could be easier? 

Children
No Data