Psychiatry uk assessment - why the focus on childhood?? Partway through and likely to get discharged because I’ve not enough evidence as a kid?

As in the title really. I’m scoring high on self-diagnosis questionnaires and was referred at the advice of single point of access and my GP, but I don’t really remember that much about childhood as I’m 43 and my parents are nearly 80 so remember even less. My school reports focus entirely on how good I am at my subjects and give no background on me as a person. I have no siblings and no childhood friends. I’ve done a first assessment and have a follow up later this week and as all the questions focussed entirely on childhood apparently there’s little evidence of anything. Not sure why I’m putting this on really. I just feel a bit desperate as I thought I had started to understand myself a bit better but maybe not? Don’t they take anything from adulthood into account at all?

Parents
  • Hello 95170,

So here's (potentially) the key question for a mite like you, at a point like this.......If you think you had started to understand yourself a bit better within the context of autism....but now that others have become involved, you are starting to doubt yourself (and that self-understanding).......so which outcome do you think is more/most likely to be correct?  Do you mask efficiently/ extremely efficiently?

I can't answer these questions for you.  All I can do, is perhaps, phrase a couple of relevant questions for you?

Desperation is the mother of invention and/or enlightenment.  The difference matters!!!

Stick around for a while?

I've been here for quite a while, and whilst there aren't many of the "cases" at the moment in the active forum, I have noted MANY, MANY here in the recent past who have either received a mis-diagnosis or non-diagnosis.....to subsequently be changed in their thinking or outcome at a later point.

We are a friendly bunch.

I wish you well - but most importantly, I wish you continued sanity and resolve.

Yours

Number.

• Hello 95170,

So here's (potentially) the key question for a mite like you, at a point like this.......If you think you had started to understand yourself a bit better within the context of autism....but now that others have become involved, you are starting to doubt yourself (and that self-understanding).......so which outcome do you think is more/most likely to be correct?  Do you mask efficiently/ extremely efficiently?

I can't answer these questions for you.  All I can do, is perhaps, phrase a couple of relevant questions for you?

Desperation is the mother of invention and/or enlightenment.  The difference matters!!!

Stick around for a while?

I've been here for quite a while, and whilst there aren't many of the "cases" at the moment in the active forum, I have noted MANY, MANY here in the recent past who have either received a mis-diagnosis or non-diagnosis.....to subsequently be changed in their thinking or outcome at a later point.

We are a friendly bunch.

I wish you well - but most importantly, I wish you continued sanity and resolve.

Yours

Number.

Children
No Data