25, female, Black British, autistic, and unemployed for a year

Hello all,

So I've been unemployed now for basically a year (on December 15th). Throughout this whole year, I have been for countless interviews, completed various tasks for job applications, the lot. I was unsuccessful for all the roles, even having put in hours of hard work preparing for interviews and completing tasks, it still was not enough. I ask for feedback as to why I was unsuccessful, yet I just get no reply, so I don't really understand where it is I am falling short. I have been dealing with severe burnout as a result. I really want to give up and face the reality that no one may want to hire me, no matter how badly I want a job. I mean, a year is a long time to be out of work.  Before my unemployment, I had graduated university in Maths with Economics, and got an internship at a market research agency. I was not successful in the internship, hence I was dismissed after the probation period of 3 months. It was due to a number of things such as my disability and not meeting "the standards of the Company" as quoted in the leaving letter. I did sense that my line manager was not my biggest fan, and they also part of the decision. Honestly I don't know what to do. It seems like with my disability, and I hate to bring it up, but my ethnic background, it is really difficult for me to break out of this cycle of unemployment.

Does anyone have any advice on how to gain employment, how to gain independence outside of the education system? Because that's all i've done in my life up until the last year.

Parents
  • only a year? wow your doing good.

i was unemployed all the way up to age 31 or something lol you will be fine if a year is your biggest gap you have faced.

• That's great you finally managed to get into employment. Well done.

How did you manage dealing with long-term unemployment?

• i was fine with it. employment stresses me out a bit too much so im probably healthier and better unemployed really so its more of a case of how do i cope with employment lol which i do that by trying to keep goals in mind and perhaps work towards plans to make a way to not need employment such as hoping some investments pay off and then perhaps in the future seeing if i can capitalise off any savings i have to invest in something that can gain me a income..... sadly to say the only thing that comes to mind on that is landlording, it seems the only real way in this system to get a passive income outside of work and to allow yourself to not require work. but yeah i was lonely unemployed and that is part reason that thrust me out into employment, that alongside having a big lump sum of cash from a investment i did which i used to get myself a property which then also required me to work for that.

i got super lucky on getting a job though, i think its because it was a agency job and agencys take on anyone without a interview and even without caring about their cv or experience. the employers dont ask questions and agencies just throw anyone at any job. so id try agency work if you need a job, that seems to be the easiest on ramp for jobs these days.

• its always going to be a lottery getting a job as the my job is the lowest type of low wage manual warehousing job and yet they had a direct hire one time and for that one job they had 1000 people applying for it... and yet they didnt hire a local, they hired a person directly from india who wasnt even in the country yet, because they know they can push harsh conditions and not get complaints off indian workers taken directly from abroad. just the way our economy is, employers want to push harsh conditions and low wages and for that they want imported labour from countries that dont have workers rights.

• its always going to be a lottery getting a job as the my job is the lowest type of low wage manual warehousing job and yet they had a direct hire one time and for that one job they had 1000 people applying for it... and yet they didnt hire a local, they hired a person directly from india who wasnt even in the country yet, because they know they can push harsh conditions and not get complaints off indian workers taken directly from abroad. just the way our economy is, employers want to push harsh conditions and low wages and for that they want imported labour from countries that dont have workers rights.

Children
No Data