Newly Diagnosed

I'm not really sure what to write if I'm honest...

So I had an assessment via Right to Choose on Tuesday and the psychiatrist gave me a diagnosis of 'ASD'. It explains so much of why I've always felt like an outcast (sometimes even amongst the other 'outcasts') but my overwhelming feeling is of anger - why it wasn't picked up when I was younger and why I had to struggle so much through High School and the horrendous bullying I've gone through in work places. I'm already in therapy for neurodivergent people or those suspected to be neurodivergent which has helped somewhat but I still can't shake the anger side of things.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Parents
  • Congratulations on your diagnosis, anger is quite normal. I suppose we morn the child that we could have been. It’s the age old “ what if?” The bullying seems to happen to most autistic people, that doesn’t make it right either. We look for someone to blame, parents and schools had no understanding of autism, I had no understanding of it until the light bulb moment, it then became a new special interest. As others have said, don’t try to process it all too quickly, I tried and the wheels came off.

• Congratulations on your diagnosis, anger is quite normal. I suppose we morn the child that we could have been. It’s the age old “ what if?” The bullying seems to happen to most autistic people, that doesn’t make it right either. We look for someone to blame, parents and schools had no understanding of autism, I had no understanding of it until the light bulb moment, it then became a new special interest. As others have said, don’t try to process it all too quickly, I tried and the wheels came off.

Children
  • Thank you for the reply.

I'm trying to take it slowly. Very glad I signed up for this community as reading though the posts I feel less alone knowing there are others out there with similar experiences.