Newly Diagnosed

I'm not really sure what to write if I'm honest...

So I had an assessment via Right to Choose on Tuesday and the psychiatrist gave me a diagnosis of 'ASD'. It explains so much of why I've always felt like an outcast (sometimes even amongst the other 'outcasts') but my overwhelming feeling is of anger - why it wasn't picked up when I was younger and why I had to struggle so much through High School and the horrendous bullying I've gone through in work places. I'm already in therapy for neurodivergent people or those suspected to be neurodivergent which has helped somewhat but I still can't shake the anger side of things.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Parents
  • Oh yes, most definitely! I’m just asking for assessment now but there were lots of signs as a child. Schools were pretty crap at these things  back in the 80s when I was growing up. My mum had suspicions but didn’t do anything about it. I forgive her though. Parenting is tough.  

• Oh yes, most definitely! I’m just asking for assessment now but there were lots of signs as a child. Schools were pretty crap at these things  back in the 80s when I was growing up. My mum had suspicions but didn’t do anything about it. I forgive her though. Parenting is tough.  

Children
  • I think my Dad just thought of me as a little tomboy and saw nothing wrong with me at all, and my mother was more "why can't you just be like other little girls?" when I'd bring in Tupperware tubs of worms or other weird things.

Schools were rubbish in the 90s too - I guess because I was quiet and daydreamed I was just considered a good student even if I was day dreaming or picking up the same book every storytime!