Hello again.

Hello, I hope this gets posted. 
I’m not quite sure of how I worded my post but I’ll screen shot this one when I’ve finished just in case. 
I’m so very anxious about my assessment which I think will be in the new year now and worried about what if they don’t believe me? 
I'm in my late sixties so this is indeed a VERY late assessment to be having, so I’m not terrible sure about having it.
It was suggested by a guy I saw for cbt last May. 
I think I’m looking at a greater clarity of my life and also the appropriate medication…..more than anything I “self medicate” to try and alleviate some of my stresses. 

My husband has cancer and although he knows I’ve been put forward for an assessment I don’t want to both or discuss things with him. I’m supposed to be an emotional support for him, not the other way round. 
I’ve no one to discuss my fears with so this is why I’m posting. 
My grateful thanks. 

Parents
  • Hi Gilly,

my eldest got the results of his assessment just last week (he was given the diagnosis of autism) - he had his assessment in early October. I’ve have an appointment for the second part of my assessment this month. 
    My son found the assessment ok. His was 5 hours long (including a break in the middle). He didn’t find it too bad - I think you just have to be honest, I certainly wouldn’t worry about them not ‘believing you’ - they’re not trying to catch you out. Perhaps you’re like me and have issues with trust and feeling safe - so are feeling a bit paranoid about how the assessors will view you? Try to focus on the fact that they’re just trying to help you - and to give you the correct diagnosis. They’re on your side fundamentally. So try not to worry too much about how they will perceive your answers - just answer their questions as straightforwardly as you can. I’m sure you’ll be fine. My eldest found it ok - and he’s not comfortable with lots of things - and finds talking to people he doesn’t know really stressful. But he found it to be ok. 
    I’m sorry that your husband is unwell - that must be so stressful and worrying for you both - and it must everything else in your lives feel so much harder. I’m sure though that your husband would welcome the opportunity to support you just as you’ve been supporting him with his illness. Try to talk to him about your worries if you can. Your in a loving partnership and I’m sure he’d want to support you as much as he can. Sometimes when we have problems of our own it makes us feel good to be able to help someone else - he might find it a relief to focus on your needs instead of his own health problems for a while. So do try to talk to him. Good luck to you both x

• Hi Gilly,

my eldest got the results of his assessment just last week (he was given the diagnosis of autism) - he had his assessment in early October. I’ve have an appointment for the second part of my assessment this month. 
    My son found the assessment ok. His was 5 hours long (including a break in the middle). He didn’t find it too bad - I think you just have to be honest, I certainly wouldn’t worry about them not ‘believing you’ - they’re not trying to catch you out. Perhaps you’re like me and have issues with trust and feeling safe - so are feeling a bit paranoid about how the assessors will view you? Try to focus on the fact that they’re just trying to help you - and to give you the correct diagnosis. They’re on your side fundamentally. So try not to worry too much about how they will perceive your answers - just answer their questions as straightforwardly as you can. I’m sure you’ll be fine. My eldest found it ok - and he’s not comfortable with lots of things - and finds talking to people he doesn’t know really stressful. But he found it to be ok. 
    I’m sorry that your husband is unwell - that must be so stressful and worrying for you both - and it must everything else in your lives feel so much harder. I’m sure though that your husband would welcome the opportunity to support you just as you’ve been supporting him with his illness. Try to talk to him about your worries if you can. Your in a loving partnership and I’m sure he’d want to support you as much as he can. Sometimes when we have problems of our own it makes us feel good to be able to help someone else - he might find it a relief to focus on your needs instead of his own health problems for a while. So do try to talk to him. Good luck to you both x

Children