Minimum Age For ADHD medication.

Hi,

I have a 3 year old diagnosed Autistic son, he will be 4 years old in October. He's non verbal, still in nappies, and ticks all the autism symptoms boxes. He's being put forward for Pathway 1 assessment towards his EHCP.

He is also incredibly hyper, not in the usual 3 year old boy type of way. He can't sit/stay still for even 60 seconds unless he is ill/sick. His mind races at 100 miles per hour at all times. It's very hard to get him to learn anything as nothing holds his attention long enough.

I'm certain he has ADHD as well as Autism, I know the two conditions often present themselves together. I know of one child in Scotland who is on ADHD medication at 4 years old. I know in the USA they prescribe it for kids at 3 years old if necessary.

I live in the South of England. In your experience what is the minimum age that you have "actually" heard of or seen (if it's your child) ADHD medication being prescribed.

Thanks,

Chris

Parents
  • Hello Chris,

Our son is 7 and has ASD & ADHD. I've been told when he was diagnosed that minimum age to take medication is 6 (London). In mean time I would strongly suggest ''Equazen eye q'' vitamins. These are normal over the counter vitamins and they really helped our son before he could take his meds. They do take a while to start working tough.. 

Jo

• Hi Jo,

Thanks for the reply. I've just bought 60 chewable capsules of those vitamins to try them with my son, he loves sweets so hopefully he thinks they're sweets and eats them. If he takes them I'll buy more... I see multiple Amazon reviews from people who have children with ASD/ADHD saying they helped.

Much appreciated...

Chris

• Hi Jo,

Thanks for the reply. I've just bought 60 chewable capsules of those vitamins to try them with my son, he loves sweets so hopefully he thinks they're sweets and eats them. If he takes them I'll buy more... I see multiple Amazon reviews from people who have children with ASD/ADHD saying they helped.

Much appreciated...

Chris

Children
No Data