Blue Badge

Hiya, im new here and im after some advice please.

My son is asd (aspergers) and has started to run! He has run from his classroom and 'hidden' a few times.

My question is, im thinking of appling for a blue badge for him, hes HRC and LRM. I have read the difficultlies alot of asd parents have in getting a badge, but im wondering if i sent a letter from my sons Headmistress backing up my claim about his running off, it would help or make any difference?? Or maybe i shouldnt even bother appling???

Would love to hear from anyone who has managed to get one and what they needed in order to get it.

Thanks in advance xxx

Parents
  • I tried to get a blue badge for my son a few years ago as he has no road sense regarding danger and will dash about in a car park.  I came up against a brick wall as he had legs that worked! 

We were told he would have to be personally assessed at our Local Council Offices.  At the time, there was no way we could get our son in a lift to the 8th floor let alone be assessed without major trauma to him so we abandoned it.  Now he is nearly 19, still has no idea about traffic or car parks and still no Blue Badge so every car parking experience is a hazzard.  Having said that, I would prioritise anyone who could not walk.  Problem is, many pulling up in disabled bays have a dubious reason for being there.

• I tried to get a blue badge for my son a few years ago as he has no road sense regarding danger and will dash about in a car park.  I came up against a brick wall as he had legs that worked! 

We were told he would have to be personally assessed at our Local Council Offices.  At the time, there was no way we could get our son in a lift to the 8th floor let alone be assessed without major trauma to him so we abandoned it.  Now he is nearly 19, still has no idea about traffic or car parks and still no Blue Badge so every car parking experience is a hazzard.  Having said that, I would prioritise anyone who could not walk.  Problem is, many pulling up in disabled bays have a dubious reason for being there.

Children
No Data