TAC meetings

I have the most awful problem with TAC meetings not sleeping, feeling tearful. I feel I do most of the talking don’t really get to find out that much about G. The list of people attending can do nothing for my ds, will not be able to answer my questions and cannot make any decisions, - so, - it is really just a admin exercise isn't it?

TAC are supposed to be a chance for all professionals involved in a child's life to get together, be across developments in that child's life, and make concrete plans to meet the needs of that child. Note the 'concrete plans' bit. It isn't a big chitchat free-for-all. Every professional should end the meeting with something to do - some action to take that will improve your child's lot. 

TAC meetings; “they are all fine in theory but they can be a lot of hot air because nothing is ultimately done.“ which is what I have found and going round in circles. I also feel they are really intimidating because they are the whole council against me. They all know what they are talking about and sometimes I don’t what my rights are so I feel steam rollered.

“TACS usually go hand in hand with CAFs. A CAF is a great big long document which outlines all the needs and issues of your child, which professionals are involved, what their role is etc. In theory, this is supposed to ensure that all your child's info is available to all professionals (usually on a computerised system), that you don't have to constantly retell his/her 'story' to new professionals that may come on board, and that professionals involved in supporting your child are kept abreast of developments in his life. They are extremely helpful in a small minority of cases. In many cases, they are used instead of a more time consuming and costly statement (in my experience). If a CAF is proposed, get the proposal and reasons for suggesting a CAF inwriting. Then you can consider whether you think it is a useful step or just a time wasting exercise to appease you and make you hold off going for a statement.” I feel like this

“Finally, remember to use it to your advantage. Make a list of all of your issues and questions and ask them. You've got everyone around a table, so use the opportunity. I used our first TAC to get CAMHS to say what they thought the school were doing wrong. They would never have done it in writing or an official report, but I teased it out of the CAMHS guy and then BAM - it was out in the open, the school couldn't argue with it and I had recorded it all in my minutes
This did not happen with our P levels.

I find the only way to get things done is to write a letter once I have found out my rights then to be faced with a furious school (who say I have been aggressive, when they have not agreed to anything I have said) who say we need to set up meetings first and then write a letter as their staff have rights too. Even though I explained I need a paper trail. I feel like I am being gagged.

EG I asked for a workstation for G, then wrote letter, then had a meeting, then Autism Advisory Service made a recommendation, then G got a workstation. Why didn’t they just say ok in the first place? They want to be seen doing all the work when it is me. I have a paper trail for this.

EG. In the TAC meeting they poo pooed any technology as I felt they want him to learn the old fashioned way but lots have people have been positive about technology especially if DS is good with it. I have  paper trail for this  mentioned on minutes of TAC meeting.

EG LSA went on maternity leave. New LSA said she “did not like children” but was none the less looking after my vulnerable DS (emerging speech). I was told off for DS scratching and biting new LSA although he did not do it before or after new LSA was there for six months. I do not have a paper trail for this.

How do you get the most out of these meetings as I feel they are so precious and want to make the best out of what we have? I will give it another go but feel I don’t want to be there.

Parents
  • I really empathise with you. I am the lead practitioner for a family who all have autism. I am really wanting to get the best way of supporting the process so it doesn’t cause parents to be too overwhelmed and I feel really awful for them having to attend such an intense social situation. The parent has said she finds it challenging. Any ideas? 

• Er... Change the system so it isn't weighted against those it purports to help?

Simples. 

• I have kids here had to help back into bed. 

Would you suggest having the parental information by email and shared electronically? 

Doing the meeting but allowing the parent time to see all the questions/ information that is likely to be shared? 

Keeping numbers down to essential people 

suggestions? 

• Thanks, 

I do have cryptshare but see your point over the emails. 

The other arrangements seem realistic to me. 

I really am trying to create a purposeful meeting that works for all and genuinely want to make it better. 

Thanks for the advice. 

• Thanks, 

I do have cryptshare but see your point over the emails. 

The other arrangements seem realistic to me. 

I really am trying to create a purposeful meeting that works for all and genuinely want to make it better. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Children
No Data