Clothing issues

Hi all. I'm new to the group so sorry if this has been asked before. My 10 year old daughter has a new diagnosis of autism after 7 years of struggling with her behaviour/traits etc. However we are struggling increasingly with clothing issues. Everything is too tight/scratchy etc etc  the biggest issue is underwear And dislikes anything that she has to wear. I've tried all styles of underwear and a range of sizes. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions. Specific seamless underwear are just too expensive. Please help!!

Parents
  • As an adult with dyspraxia/ DCD the issue of clothes is a big issue. My SD16 has the sensory issues of temperature insensitivity so wears lots of layers as does Bonsai's daughter.

On clothing that itches

The big thing is seam free and encased elastic. Bamboo, cotton and silk are good options. Merino can be a bit hit or miss.

On kids wearing layers: start deodorant early and do social stories. We struggle because SD16s bio-mother is not reinforcing the message so she only gets reinforcement with us. Have several hoodies and leggings that are acceptable and get her changing daily (or more frequently). Get GP to prescribe Vitamin D. 

I've found SD16 will agree to try new things as long as they are covering. Her birthday/Christmas presents from me will include a very lightweight hoodie made with enclosed seams. I'm just hunting out fabric. Also looking into a light trouser pattern

• As an adult with dyspraxia/ DCD the issue of clothes is a big issue. My SD16 has the sensory issues of temperature insensitivity so wears lots of layers as does Bonsai's daughter.

On clothing that itches

The big thing is seam free and encased elastic. Bamboo, cotton and silk are good options. Merino can be a bit hit or miss.

On kids wearing layers: start deodorant early and do social stories. We struggle because SD16s bio-mother is not reinforcing the message so she only gets reinforcement with us. Have several hoodies and leggings that are acceptable and get her changing daily (or more frequently). Get GP to prescribe Vitamin D. 

I've found SD16 will agree to try new things as long as they are covering. Her birthday/Christmas presents from me will include a very lightweight hoodie made with enclosed seams. I'm just hunting out fabric. Also looking into a light trouser pattern

Children
No Data