Bank Account Opening Advice for teenage ASD

Hi,

My son is 14 and has ASD.

I have recently tried opening an Under 19 Current Account for him but have been told I can't do it as he would need to attend the appointment, watch an introductory video and then sign the forms to say he understands and agrees to the terms and conditions of the account.  The bank in question (one of the main high street ones) has said that the only way round this is for me to get Power of the Courts (apparently Power of Attorney wouldn't be adequate, even if I had this).

I have looked in to Power of the Courts and it is really expensive to do.  Has anyone encountered this and have they found a way round I already have a savings account for him but he needs something that will give him a card to have immediate access to his money. Thank you in advance.

Parents
  • Have you looked online? I have quickly checked one building society and from age 14 it is possible to apply online for a current account. I haven't named the building society, lest it be deemed advertising or a recommdation. Anyway, you could try the website for the bank where you tried visiting in person. If they don't offer online applications for 14 year olds then you know that by checking other banks or building societies there is at last one out there with online applications.

• Have you looked online? I have quickly checked one building society and from age 14 it is possible to apply online for a current account. I haven't named the building society, lest it be deemed advertising or a recommdation. Anyway, you could try the website for the bank where you tried visiting in person. If they don't offer online applications for 14 year olds then you know that by checking other banks or building societies there is at last one out there with online applications.

Children
No Data