Daughter on the spectrum and legal matters

This is rather personal but i am hoping to get some advice. I am currently undergoing a child arrangements order so i can see my non verbal Autistic daughter. The consultant who diagnosed her is suggesting that because i live in Manchester and my daugher lives in Hereford that she can travel providing she is shown photos of where she will be staying. The problem with this is she doesnt like to interact with people especialy if you are trying to show her something no matter how eye catching the photos are. trying to convince the courts that every child is different and the best approach would be to let the parent reach an educated decision on whats best for her is becoming so difficult please help.

Parents
  • Stan said:

Getting the courts to realise that the parents are the best source of information where Autistic children are concerned is another thing.

That statement is not always true so the courts cannot rely on the parents stated intentions. Some parents of autistic children do not understand their child's autism, some parents are not reasonable, some parents are deceitful, some parents are actually harmful to their children.

Also, some parents of autistic children are unaware of their own traits and may have elements of autism (being over literal, being less skilled at inter-personal relationships, being obsessive, etc etc)

Some parents fall into both of these categories and the result is often that the child has a much more disturbed and chaotic life than if their parents were in neither, or just one, of these categories.

There are a number of autistic adults on the forum (not myself though) whose lives have been shaped by the chaos, and lack of understanding, that arises from bad parenting.

• Stan said:

Getting the courts to realise that the parents are the best source of information where Autistic children are concerned is another thing.

That statement is not always true so the courts cannot rely on the parents stated intentions. Some parents of autistic children do not understand their child's autism, some parents are not reasonable, some parents are deceitful, some parents are actually harmful to their children.

Also, some parents of autistic children are unaware of their own traits and may have elements of autism (being over literal, being less skilled at inter-personal relationships, being obsessive, etc etc)

Some parents fall into both of these categories and the result is often that the child has a much more disturbed and chaotic life than if their parents were in neither, or just one, of these categories.

There are a number of autistic adults on the forum (not myself though) whose lives have been shaped by the chaos, and lack of understanding, that arises from bad parenting.

Children
No Data