son refusing to get dressed or go out please help

my son will be 4 in  march, hes autistic , was diagnoised last year, their was a incident that happened at nursery, were my son pulled the teachers hair, then the following day he refused to get dressed, this has been going on now for 5mths, he will not even go out side, he will stay in the one room all day, and now he refusing to get a bath, or have his hair washed or even brush his teeth, ive been having proffesoial help 3 times a week for 4mths, to top things off hes loosing skills aswell, hes been offered a place in a special school. i cant get him their he wont get dressed, p lease im very desprate for help

Parents
  • Hi teardrops,

I know how frustrated you are, I really do. My 12 year old has issues with clothing and getting dressed, she always has done from a very young age.

When she was small I used to pin her down and drag her clothes on the take her straight out of the house (usually carried). This was horrid and often would end up with me in tears.

Now she's bigger I can't do that anymore. There are days when she does dress, this usually takes hours and days when she just cant stand the feel of her clothes at all. This means that she often misses school and a number of social activities.

I think my daughters issues are sensory, although they do get worse when she's anxious about anything.

Unless you're in the situation it's really hard to understand, I get comments from people all the time telling me to put my foot down, make her get dressed etc. It just really isn't that simple though.

I can't really offer you any good advice as to what to do, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. Not only is this isolating for your child, but also for yourself and I really do know how hard it is.

Hope things pick up for you

Take care

Andrea x

• Hi teardrops,

I know how frustrated you are, I really do. My 12 year old has issues with clothing and getting dressed, she always has done from a very young age.

When she was small I used to pin her down and drag her clothes on the take her straight out of the house (usually carried). This was horrid and often would end up with me in tears.

Now she's bigger I can't do that anymore. There are days when she does dress, this usually takes hours and days when she just cant stand the feel of her clothes at all. This means that she often misses school and a number of social activities.

I think my daughters issues are sensory, although they do get worse when she's anxious about anything.

Unless you're in the situation it's really hard to understand, I get comments from people all the time telling me to put my foot down, make her get dressed etc. It just really isn't that simple though.

I can't really offer you any good advice as to what to do, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. Not only is this isolating for your child, but also for yourself and I really do know how hard it is.

Hope things pick up for you

Take care

Andrea x

Children
  • Oh my gosh reading this I have tears running down my face , I found this comment by fate, desperately trying to google … why can’t I get my Autistic daughter dressed…. I’m not sure when this was posted …. But oh my gosh I’m not alone , Thank you.. 

my daughter is 9 diagnosed with Autism, SPD etc she cannot get clothes on and this gets worse when she is anxious, hence causing her to miss school with a school attendance of under half what it should be ! Gosh it’s not me fighting this terrible battle ! Thank you again Louisa