Antibiotics increasing awareness

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has expereinced an easing of autisitc symptoms / behaviour when your child is on antiobiotics. Our son is currently on penicillium for a throat infection and in the last few days has been speaking a lot more and is a lot more energetic.

I found a few articles on the internet of parents who had similair experiences with using antiobiotics, but it does not seem to be a common approach (I guess as cant keep giving a child antiobiotics). Hence I have every reason to believe its a a barmy theory.

Our son is under assessment and has yet to be diagnoised ASD, so we dont know if this improvement is due to general development (which we really hope) or the fact he is taking the medicine. His language skills had been improving steadily before, but it got a lot faster this week.

It would be good to hear from anyone with any comparable expereinces or thoughts.

thanks

Parents
  • curious said:

I feel I am stating the obvious, but surely if someone is unwell they might feel less inclined to speak - both generally with illness, but also specifically with a throat infection, and the associated pain. So the antibiotics might simply be doing their intended job of treating infection...

I think that S-Clive's original point was that the child's behaviour was better than it was before the episode of illness. i.e. better than when the child was running a normal temperature. There are lots of theories about possible links between intestinal issues and autism - that is actually Andrew Wakefield was pursuing before he created the MMR fiasco. People's behaviour responds to all sorts of influences and it is possible that the improved behaviour may be due to the occurrence of the fever itself or from the antibiotics. The improvement in behaviour may be permanent i.e. not dependent on continued use of antibiotics (continuous use of antibiotics will lead to reduced immunity as I understand it)

• curious said:

I feel I am stating the obvious, but surely if someone is unwell they might feel less inclined to speak - both generally with illness, but also specifically with a throat infection, and the associated pain. So the antibiotics might simply be doing their intended job of treating infection...

I think that S-Clive's original point was that the child's behaviour was better than it was before the episode of illness. i.e. better than when the child was running a normal temperature. There are lots of theories about possible links between intestinal issues and autism - that is actually Andrew Wakefield was pursuing before he created the MMR fiasco. People's behaviour responds to all sorts of influences and it is possible that the improved behaviour may be due to the occurrence of the fever itself or from the antibiotics. The improvement in behaviour may be permanent i.e. not dependent on continued use of antibiotics (continuous use of antibiotics will lead to reduced immunity as I understand it)

Children
No Data