Changing from Mainstream to special needs school advice.

Hi. I'm looking for some advice. I'm a mum to 3 Children on the Spectrum. All full time statements. All attending mainstream school. My oldest Child is soon to be 9, he has seriously struggled with the work  for about six months. There have been strategies it into place, but nothing has worked. He is so unhappy, he is getting frustrated and anxious at school as he is finding the workload too hard. Mainstream school is just too much for him now. He is getting angry all the time, at school, refusing to participate, throwing things in the classroom. He is the most sweet, normally happy boy. It's just too upsetting seeing him struggle like this. I'm worried that it's making him regress!  Im adamant that this isn't the setting for him now, and was looking for advice, and information on the process of moving schools. Thank you.

Parents
  • Hi, may I suggest arranging a meeting with all the professionals involved with your son. Together you can discuss his current needs, challenges and strengths. Then come up with a plan that would suit him. Speak to your son also, ask what he would like, what he finds difficult and what he would like changed  to make things easier for him. If he's having good days and bad days, I would suggest attempting to ascertain what happens or doesn't happen to make a day either good or bad. Work with the school on this also. This is where you can really get your son involved, making sure his voice is heard. I hope some of this helps.

• Hi, may I suggest arranging a meeting with all the professionals involved with your son. Together you can discuss his current needs, challenges and strengths. Then come up with a plan that would suit him. Speak to your son also, ask what he would like, what he finds difficult and what he would like changed  to make things easier for him. If he's having good days and bad days, I would suggest attempting to ascertain what happens or doesn't happen to make a day either good or bad. Work with the school on this also. This is where you can really get your son involved, making sure his voice is heard. I hope some of this helps.

Children
  • I am a father of 2 children! You need to decide what is not the same for your children and, based on this, choose a school for them: someone likes drawing with step-by-step manuals, someone likes music, someone likes dancing! Chat with your kids or take tests with them on inclinations and choose a good school!