Alone

Hi,

does anyone one else feel totally unsupported and alone? I have two boys, 10 and 11 with autism and adhd. They are impulsive and aggressive. Earlier this evening my eldest had a foul mouthed rant at me. Nothing unusual for him but not nice. My partner of two years responded by telling me I need to get them in line as I am doing a disservice to the rest of the world. It hurt like hell and still does. He too has an autistic child and I wouldn't dream of saying anything along those lines to him. I'm so upset. Since when did the rest of the world care about me and mine?! My partner has had some work issues recently and I have been nothing but supportive to him emotionally and financially. I really feel he is not supporting me in what he said earlier. I'm not normally a sensitive person don't know this has really stung now. Sorry for a rant but have no one else! X

• Wut?

The kids are his responsibility too.

• Please don't worry it gets easier and you're a wonderful mother. My child is 17 and he is mellowing. Please enquire about respite via a social worker. Big hugs also xxxxx

• Hi leanne35

Sending hugs! It is really hard sometimes. You are so tired, exhausted, trying to do your best and squeeze your last bit of energy out and a throwaway comment can just floor you. Could your partner being feeling the pressure and afraid as he is unsure how to deal with it himself? Sometimes it comes out in a sharp comment that may not have been intended to hurt you (although it understandibly has). Perhaps he was venting his own frustrations as he is lost to know what to do.

Try and put it behind you for tonight and know that you are doing your very best and no-one can ask more than that. You can sleep easy tonight knowing you are doing more than most parents and are still going, still trying to achieve more.

Give the NAS helpline a ring tomorrow if you can and talk the challenges your family face through. It can be such a relief just to have someone that understands at the end of the phone and can offer some new ideas to help things improve.

I do understand how hurting that can feel and how hard it is right now. Sounds like you are made of strong stuff and you will get through this and it will pass.

Take care of yourself and sleep well