Behaviour outside of school

Hi,

My 4 year old son who was diagnosed with Autism at the beginning of this year and started mainstream school in September. He seems to be doing quite well at school and seems fairly happy when he is there but presents difficult behaviour when at home. In the morning it is a struggle getting him going and he quite often he says he doesn't want to go to school. This morning he had a meltdown just before we left the house and I feel thoroughly stressed because I also have to get his brother and cousin to school too. He is also reverting back to comfort behaviours such as wanting a dummy during the daytime....I try to put him off as long as I can but he is relentless in asking for it and will cry and whine or shout if he doesn't get it. He does seem quite tired even though he is getting a good nights sleep but he's a very picky eater so I thought he may be lacking in certain nutrients. We saw the Nutritionist about this around 6 months ago but she was not overly concerned that his eating habits were affecting his health. Can anyone else relate to this scenario or know of any strategies to improve my sons motivation to cope with things in a better way? 

Parents
  • Hi recombinant socks,

Thanks for your reply and the link...a lot to take in. 

The possibility of a food intolerance had crossed my mind but as he already eats such a limited range of foods I'm loathe to remove items as he is quite resistant to trying new things so would probably end up eating even less. He was eating breakfast - weetabix or malties with milk, a fruit pot and a slice of toast with bovril or marmite on....but over the last few days he has started refusing breakfast. All meals are hit and miss whether he eats them or not. At school he has school dinners but will only eat potato or potato products, fish products, breaded chicken products and peas and sweetcorn as a main meal. He does usually eat the pudding which is usually a biscuit or cake. For tea he has marmite, jam or pate sandwiches, carrot sticks, bacon strips and some sort of crispy savoury snack. As previously mentioned it's hit and miss whether he eats these things even though they are things he likes.

We are pretty organised in the morning and my son knows the routine we have but seems to be resistant to following it at the moment. 

• Hi recombinant socks,

Thanks for your reply and the link...a lot to take in. 

The possibility of a food intolerance had crossed my mind but as he already eats such a limited range of foods I'm loathe to remove items as he is quite resistant to trying new things so would probably end up eating even less. He was eating breakfast - weetabix or malties with milk, a fruit pot and a slice of toast with bovril or marmite on....but over the last few days he has started refusing breakfast. All meals are hit and miss whether he eats them or not. At school he has school dinners but will only eat potato or potato products, fish products, breaded chicken products and peas and sweetcorn as a main meal. He does usually eat the pudding which is usually a biscuit or cake. For tea he has marmite, jam or pate sandwiches, carrot sticks, bacon strips and some sort of crispy savoury snack. As previously mentioned it's hit and miss whether he eats these things even though they are things he likes.

We are pretty organised in the morning and my son knows the routine we have but seems to be resistant to following it at the moment. 

Children
No Data