Melatonin?

I've noticed a few people mention their kids take this.  I've heard of it (think I may have bought some form of it myself a few years ago to help my sleep) but wanted to ask, is it prescribed by your GP?  Does it make a difference?  

One of the things I have got is a sleep app on my daughters I-Pod which has been an eye opener.  She rarely falls into a proper sleep until at least 2 am but when she does, she generally sleeps really well, into a good deep sleep for 4 to 5 hours.  I just need to bring that forwards to about midnight!

• Thanks.  I might wait until we go back to see the consultant in July.  I've ordered some Bach Remedy drops to try.  While she's not at school, its less of an issue because she's not having to get up early in the mornng.  It does just seem to be the dropping off that's the problem.

• You could ask your GP but it may be that s/he would refer to the paediatrician before prescribing it as I think it is normally prescribed by paediatricians.  Ours was.

Also, if you daughter only has trouble getting to sleep the quick release one may be OK but if she also wakes during the night ensure you get Circadin the time release one as the quick release one won't prevent night-time wakenings.