Help needed

Hi everyone - my granddaughter is 8 years of age and we are fairly certain she has autism.  My daughter is currently going through the assessment process with her.  Her primary school was not overly supportive of previous issues with other children so my daughter made the decision to move school and she has been attending the new school for nearly 2 weeks now.  it is HORRENDOUS each morning trying to get her dressed and out of the door (crying, hiding under the bed, having to be dressed by parents etc, etc).  The new school have been totally amazing and extremely supportive but my daughter is at total breaking point and just wants to send her back to the old school as the child was happy there.  The move was made for long term support.  Any advice / support would be really gratefully received.  Thank you.

Parents
  • I’m so sorry. I well remember taking a child to school who desperately didn’t want to go - it’s extremely painful and distressing for all involved - and worst of all for the child. 
    Obviously there are complex issues here - but if the child was genuinely happy at her previous school then I would let her return to it - if she is sure that’s what she wants. It’s clear from her behaviour that this move has been deeply distressing - even traumatic - for her. And if she was happy at the previous school then they must have been doing a lot right surely? The happier she is the better she will learn and cope with school. I know it can be hard to admit we’ve made a mistake, and it might be a little embarrassing to contact her old school and request she return - but ultimately what matters most? I think for children (and especially autistic children) mental health and well being should be top of the list of priorities. Good luck! 

• I’m so sorry. I well remember taking a child to school who desperately didn’t want to go - it’s extremely painful and distressing for all involved - and worst of all for the child. 
    Obviously there are complex issues here - but if the child was genuinely happy at her previous school then I would let her return to it - if she is sure that’s what she wants. It’s clear from her behaviour that this move has been deeply distressing - even traumatic - for her. And if she was happy at the previous school then they must have been doing a lot right surely? The happier she is the better she will learn and cope with school. I know it can be hard to admit we’ve made a mistake, and it might be a little embarrassing to contact her old school and request she return - but ultimately what matters most? I think for children (and especially autistic children) mental health and well being should be top of the list of priorities. Good luck! 

Children
No Data