Help with school!!

Hi 

My daughter is in year 10 at secondary school and in the second stage of screening with CAMHS for Autism and ADHD. The school are aware and have said they have made “reasonable adjustments” for her. 
She struggles with decision making and following instructions, when this doesn’t go well for her in the classroom she is sent out and has to go to holding (like a detention room) where she remains sometimes for the rest of the day, sometimes for a couple of periods and then has to have a correctional conversation with a teacher where she is basically made to apologies for not doing what she is told. These conversations have never gone well for her as her anxiety levels are through the roof at this stage and she ends up walking away, the next day she will then be back in isolation again until the conversation goes well..this has the potential to go on for days, all the while she is missing out on classroom time and her education. I have had to pull her out of school twice as she has contacted me in a terrible state being left out in a corridor because she has refused to go to the detention room, this room is a major trigger for her. I have discussed with the school many times because A, I don’t think she should be punished for things which are out of her control and related to the struggles she has and B, the detention room is a dark place for her and I have requested that she doesn’t be sent there.

The schools response in the main is that as she is a pupil of the school she has to follow the rules like all other children and their reasonable adjustment so far is to have someone in the mental health unit that she can speak to once a week or go to see at break or lunchtime. 

Has anyone else had experiences like this and how have you got through to the school that these punishments don’t work? 

Parents Reply Children
No Data