still waiting for assessment

Hi, does anyone have an idea roughly how long I’ll be waiting for an autism assessment? I have already been waiting 17 months and it is negatively affecting my mental health not knowing if I will have a diagnosis or not. I can’t really afford to go private at the moment and I could do with having a diagnosis this year before I finish uni. 

For context: I am a 21 year old female with anxiety, depression, a history of an eating disorder and suspected POTS. 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, waiting times for autism assessments vary across the UK. In my area - and, from what I've seen from others' posts here - most or all other NHS diagnostic services also don't provide estimates.

If you're in England, then you might like to talk to your GP about switching your referral to the Right to Choose (RTC) pathway. RTC enables you to use an NHS-approved private provider of your choice, which could result in a significantly shorter waiting time.

My experience of waiting was similar to yours. Upon realising that I might be autistic, I initially felt relief. However, the longer that I waited on the NHS waiting list, the worse my mental health became. After two years, I was referred to an NHS psychiatrist for medication that the GP's couldn't prescribe. He told me about RTC. I switched pathways and was assessed and diagnosed within just a few months.  

You can find more information about RTC here:

NAS - What is 'Right to Choose'?

This website (for example) lists some RTC providers along with website links:

Memorial Medical Centre - ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

• Hi and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, waiting times for autism assessments vary across the UK. In my area - and, from what I've seen from others' posts here - most or all other NHS diagnostic services also don't provide estimates.

If you're in England, then you might like to talk to your GP about switching your referral to the Right to Choose (RTC) pathway. RTC enables you to use an NHS-approved private provider of your choice, which could result in a significantly shorter waiting time.

My experience of waiting was similar to yours. Upon realising that I might be autistic, I initially felt relief. However, the longer that I waited on the NHS waiting list, the worse my mental health became. After two years, I was referred to an NHS psychiatrist for medication that the GP's couldn't prescribe. He told me about RTC. I switched pathways and was assessed and diagnosed within just a few months.  

You can find more information about RTC here:

NAS - What is 'Right to Choose'?

This website (for example) lists some RTC providers along with website links:

Memorial Medical Centre - ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

Children
No Data