Violent outbursts young child nonverbal

My child is almost 4. She is very verbally delayed and are on the pathway for an autism assessment (to confirm as pediatrician is quite sure but unable to diagnose)

She is getting very angry and having violent outbursts (hitting, kicking, biting, scratching, pushing her younger sibling over, pulling hair, ripping into the face of whoever is close to her at the time)

She struggles with change and it's been a fairly big one for her with breaking up for summer, switching from pm to am sessions (+dinner) at nursery. I'd understand if this was her trigger but her behaviour began to worsen before the summer.

I don't know what to do, I was told that as her speech improves so will her behaviour but although her speech is improving her outbursts are getting worse!

Has anyone been in this situation and found a way to manage the outbursts?

Her attention span is literally zero so telling her that it hurts to hit doesn't sink in.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear of your family struggles.

She is getting very angry and having violent outbursts

This NAS article explains more about distressed behaviour and offers some suggestions that might help:

NAS - Distressed behaviour

She struggles with change and it's been a fairly big one for her with breaking up for summer, switching from pm to am sessions (+dinner) at nursery.

This article offers information and tips relating to our our difficulties with routines and change:

NAS - Dealing with change

As she gets older, you might also find the information here about school transitions helpful:

NAS - Transitions

I hope that you find some of the advice in these articles helpful.

• Hi and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear of your family struggles.

She is getting very angry and having violent outbursts

This NAS article explains more about distressed behaviour and offers some suggestions that might help:

NAS - Distressed behaviour

She struggles with change and it's been a fairly big one for her with breaking up for summer, switching from pm to am sessions (+dinner) at nursery.

This article offers information and tips relating to our our difficulties with routines and change:

NAS - Dealing with change

As she gets older, you might also find the information here about school transitions helpful:

NAS - Transitions

I hope that you find some of the advice in these articles helpful.

Children
No Data