Reward system for my autistic child

I’ve started using super mario games as a reward system for my child. He gets to play for a set time when he completes tasks or finishes therapy sessions. It’s motivating for him, but I wonder if anyone else uses gaming as part of their child’s routine. Has this approach worked for you? I’d love some tips on how to balance screen time with other activities.

Parents
  • Hi, that sounds amazing. I use gaming and technology with my 2 children too. My eldest, 18, autistic has it in her routine. She will do an activity like work, course work, household jobs etc then go on the laptop to research special interests or watch a movie or an episode then we repeat it. It is calming for her and motivates her for something to look forward to. 

My son, 10, not diagnosed, plays on his Xbox after finishing a school day, then has dinner which he struggles with, then plays again, and then a shower, plays again before doing reading before bed. It works well. 

We balance screen time with other activities such as messy play with play dough, painting, crafts or going for a walk in our local town or to the park, or playing family games. Hope this helps. We do activities based on individual needs, for example, my son loves card games with the family or just another adult giving full on 1:1 attention but my daughter doesn't do she does some colouring with music. 

• Hi, that sounds amazing. I use gaming and technology with my 2 children too. My eldest, 18, autistic has it in her routine. She will do an activity like work, course work, household jobs etc then go on the laptop to research special interests or watch a movie or an episode then we repeat it. It is calming for her and motivates her for something to look forward to. 

My son, 10, not diagnosed, plays on his Xbox after finishing a school day, then has dinner which he struggles with, then plays again, and then a shower, plays again before doing reading before bed. It works well. 

We balance screen time with other activities such as messy play with play dough, painting, crafts or going for a walk in our local town or to the park, or playing family games. Hope this helps. We do activities based on individual needs, for example, my son loves card games with the family or just another adult giving full on 1:1 attention but my daughter doesn't do she does some colouring with music. 

Children
No Data