Sickness through anxiety

My little boy is 6. He doesn’t have diagnosis confirmed but I have no doubt that he will get this once his appointment comes through. 

He has always been anxious, particularly about school but over the last few months this has developed into him vomiting when he is bed because he is anxious about school, and more recently about the ‘what if I don’t fall asleep’. He has just been allocated 1:1 support at school but this hasn’t really elevated his anxiety. I have visited the GP who offered me anti sickness tablets for him - even when crushed up and put in drinks he can taste them and refuses to drink it. 

I have just sat with him as he has sobbed and been sick and and I am now trying to settle him to sleep. 

it is heartbreaking to see him like this but I just don’t know what to do to help him to over come this. His eating is limited and he can’t afford to be being sick every night. I feel like I am up against a brick wall as I don’t know where to go for help. Can anyone please offer any advice or suggestions? 

Parents
  • Hi. Welcome to the forum. I am a 52 year old Autistic woman. I had problems like your son, when I was a child. And have had problems with anxiety and sleep.

I guess my advice would be all about managing the triggers to his anxiety and also being aware of making sure his vomiting does not cause weight loss without needing to weigh him.

I use the spoon framework/theory to manage the triggers for my anxiety. I find that if I can treat the triggers to my anxiety, I can cope with it better. This involves mainly adaptions to my life and limiting the things that I find difficult.

For me, this involves:

- Limiting social interactions - these drain me

- Wearing clothes that I find comfortable - my daughter also cuts out all her labels in her clothes.

- Focus on what is important to me and also make sure I spend time with my special interest - this boosts my energy.

- Listening to music to balance my mood

- Avoiding places full of people - I shop via click and collect.

I think it's about working out what gives your son more and less energy. It also depends how you feel about asking for melatonin to help with sleep. I know that when I don't sleep well, that everything is much worse.

Take care of yourself and I hope your assessment helps with adaptions to help your son.

• Hi. Welcome to the forum. I am a 52 year old Autistic woman. I had problems like your son, when I was a child. And have had problems with anxiety and sleep.

I guess my advice would be all about managing the triggers to his anxiety and also being aware of making sure his vomiting does not cause weight loss without needing to weigh him.

I use the spoon framework/theory to manage the triggers for my anxiety. I find that if I can treat the triggers to my anxiety, I can cope with it better. This involves mainly adaptions to my life and limiting the things that I find difficult.

For me, this involves:

- Limiting social interactions - these drain me

- Wearing clothes that I find comfortable - my daughter also cuts out all her labels in her clothes.

- Focus on what is important to me and also make sure I spend time with my special interest - this boosts my energy.

- Listening to music to balance my mood

- Avoiding places full of people - I shop via click and collect.

I think it's about working out what gives your son more and less energy. It also depends how you feel about asking for melatonin to help with sleep. I know that when I don't sleep well, that everything is much worse.

Take care of yourself and I hope your assessment helps with adaptions to help your son.

Children
No Data