Sickness through anxiety

My little boy is 6. He doesn’t have diagnosis confirmed but I have no doubt that he will get this once his appointment comes through. 

He has always been anxious, particularly about school but over the last few months this has developed into him vomiting when he is bed because he is anxious about school, and more recently about the ‘what if I don’t fall asleep’. He has just been allocated 1:1 support at school but this hasn’t really elevated his anxiety. I have visited the GP who offered me anti sickness tablets for him - even when crushed up and put in drinks he can taste them and refuses to drink it. 

I have just sat with him as he has sobbed and been sick and and I am now trying to settle him to sleep. 

it is heartbreaking to see him like this but I just don’t know what to do to help him to over come this. His eating is limited and he can’t afford to be being sick every night. I feel like I am up against a brick wall as I don’t know where to go for help. Can anyone please offer any advice or suggestions? 

Parents
  • It's hard to know what might be driving your little boy's anxiety, but young kids can have separation anxiety, and be scared of being left somewhere and never getting back home again, or it could be because they're placed in an unfamiliar environment all on their own, and they don't know what to do, and that's a scary feeling. Maybe if you could arrange something to be at school for a day with him, and make it a positive experience, maybe that would help. But if that doesn't, then maybe a childhood psychologist would be helpful. 

• It's hard to know what might be driving your little boy's anxiety, but young kids can have separation anxiety, and be scared of being left somewhere and never getting back home again, or it could be because they're placed in an unfamiliar environment all on their own, and they don't know what to do, and that's a scary feeling. Maybe if you could arrange something to be at school for a day with him, and make it a positive experience, maybe that would help. But if that doesn't, then maybe a childhood psychologist would be helpful. 

Children
No Data