Teen son punches himself in legs when frustrated.

Hi - My 14 yo son punches himself for things he thinks he’s got wrong & he says he hates himself when he gets things ‘wrong’ as he sees it. I try to teach him that when things don’t go as we plan it’s ok & often helpful to see how we could try a different approach maybe next time. He is in mainstream with classroom assistant support and that is how they view learning too yet still he has this harsh, punitive self judgement . He was diagnosed with ASD in primary school. He also has difficulties with distraction but didn’t get an ADHD diagnosis. He goes into the bathroom and without assistance ffrom me knocking the door every 10mins or staying outside the door to prompt him and a timer in with him to let him know a few minutes have passed he would be in their for hours. If he is frustrated because he’s been in so long he is really hard on himself even though I tell him it’s ok and that we will find a strategy to help him he ends up getting angry with himself and punches his legs. I love him so much and feel devastated when he does this that I end up struggling to deal with my own emotions so I can help him better. I try to be helpful and supportive but get frustrated and upset as I feel I can’t help and it breaks my heart to see him feeling so bad. I just can’t think about what to say to help so he stops feeling so bad about himself. Just felt so awful that I couldn’t help him so I was wondering if anyone else is managing better and could share some advice for what helps them? Thanks Christine 

Parents
  • Sorry to hear this. There is a link between a lack of focus and a need to balance the gut-brain axis. It's affected by hormone balance and GABA. Covid also changes the gut microbiota and creates the same effect, which is quickly becoming helpful in autism research. 

I've been taking a mushroom compound with Reisihi and Lion's Mane for almost 25 years now which it boosts Focus, Clarity, immune system, gut-health, decreases a biological 'anxiety' and can aid mood. There are all kinds of Nootropics available. I do try to find ones without added things in them, as I also take a probiotic and multi. These are not a 'quick fix', but can take a while to rebuild internally, and eventually one just sort of feels a bit more clear headed. My son takes Feel Güd, I take a blend by Host Defence, but there's many more on the market. Immune boosting mushroom blends are amazing as it's all connected!

• Sorry to hear this. There is a link between a lack of focus and a need to balance the gut-brain axis. It's affected by hormone balance and GABA. Covid also changes the gut microbiota and creates the same effect, which is quickly becoming helpful in autism research. 

I've been taking a mushroom compound with Reisihi and Lion's Mane for almost 25 years now which it boosts Focus, Clarity, immune system, gut-health, decreases a biological 'anxiety' and can aid mood. There are all kinds of Nootropics available. I do try to find ones without added things in them, as I also take a probiotic and multi. These are not a 'quick fix', but can take a while to rebuild internally, and eventually one just sort of feels a bit more clear headed. My son takes Feel Güd, I take a blend by Host Defence, but there's many more on the market. Immune boosting mushroom blends are amazing as it's all connected!

Children
No Data