Transitioning to High school

Hi, 

Hoping for some advice. 

Our 11 year old son was diagnosed with autism when he was 6 years old.

We were very fortunate that his primary school were amazing when it came to supporting his education. They created a space at the back of the classroom for him, allowed him to wander during lessons, 1:1 support, mini learning sessions for developing social skills etc. They really allowed him to learn as he needed. 

He is now about to transition to high school next week. The visits he had just before the end of the term last year didn't go to well. He struggled and you could see him going into himself, unable to vocalise or communicate what he was struggling with. 

He is very sensory, so noise, someone shouting, busy environments, temperature and new environments/ people proper trigger him. 

We have done our best to communicate with the high school, with his needs and how best he learns. They have a wellbeing hub which he will be able to access. 

My issue is he knows he starts next week at Highschool and he's stopped communicating with us, he's acting out but I understand his behaviours are him communicating he's scared. 

I don't know how to help him? When I try to talk about it, he doesn't want to. I thought maybe social stories could help but he wont look at these. 

I'm so worried about him, knowing he's about to go into an environment that isn't made for him and him becoming a target to others. I want to try and help ease his worries but have no idea what else to do? Genuinely just want to hide him at home but I know he has to learn how to navigate these environments. 

Many thanks for reading. 

Parents
  • There's many changes happening to him, many unknowns, which would make anyone nervous. The end of one school and the start of another is always a daunting experience, but with time everything will become familiar. I think he's already feeling overwhelmed, and any piece of new information, like social stories, is just going to be too much for him at this time. But long as you continue communicating with the school, and being there for your son, that's all you can do. 

• There's many changes happening to him, many unknowns, which would make anyone nervous. The end of one school and the start of another is always a daunting experience, but with time everything will become familiar. I think he's already feeling overwhelmed, and any piece of new information, like social stories, is just going to be too much for him at this time. But long as you continue communicating with the school, and being there for your son, that's all you can do. 

Children
No Data