Social media & Lying & Popularity

I don't even know where to begin with this. My 15 year old son has bought the social services, safeguarding teams and the police to my doors over last few weeks. He has been posting lies on his snapchat and tik tok accounts. Saying me and his dad have gone on a cruise and he's been left alone for his birthday. Turning up at a town and singing outside with crowds of kids mocking him. He loves singing but why he had to do it. We tried to disuade him but we were told we were unsupportive. This got reported to his school by a concerned passer by and to the police as well. I've had police knocking my door at 3am in the morning saying my sons rung someone threatening to take an overdose and him saying he is non the wiser. Checking his phone I couldn't see any calls.   Trying to arrange his 15th birthday and allowing him 2 friends to take out. He wanted a party with 25 people then he posted on snapchat he'd been left alone for his birthday whilst his parents were on a cruise, all obviously utter lies and now the 2 people that were coming are refusing to come as they know he's lied and he's been desperately trying to arrange something bigger and better and I just don't understand. He said last year he was on his own with his cake that's rubbish as well and his friend knows as he was there with him. I make an effort every year to make his day special and he's portrayed me on snapchat as a parent that doesn't care. I have tried to tell him he can't post things on snapchat that aren't true and that isn't his to share but he just doesn't get it. I've already taken tiktok off him I don't want to take his way of communicating with friends away altogether but I can't keep having people at my door due to his lack of understanding of social media. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated I'm at the end of my teather I'm wondering if he has low self esteem buy I don't know what to do. I've offered counselling and he doesn't want to talk to anyone. 

Parents
  • I've had police knocking my door at 3am in the morning saying my sons rung someone threatening to take an overdose and him saying he is non the wiser

this is why i never open up to counsellers or anything that claims to help me.

he may have tried to speak to someone, like a counseller.... and be depressed or unhappy and may have admitted to them feelings of self harm and so on. and they have reported him for it.... because if you ever dealt with a counseller before the first thing they do is tell you the terms in which they say if you have any suicidal feelings they have to report you to the police for it, thats the terms of these help systems... and thats what often put me off as i never could open up to counsellers myself as i always feared if i admitted such feelings myself they would report it to the police and id be in a awkward situation like that. 

• No he's not spoken to a Counsellor. It's something I've offered if he feels like he can't talk to myself or friends or another adult. I've told him childline is there if he wants to speak to someone completely impartial. The police said the call was from him and showed me his number but when we woke him he completely denied it and that was a few weeks ago and still denies it to this day. He said why would he do that when he has the rest of his life to look forward to and his prom.

• thats odd then.... unless someone else he knew had his phone and did it as a joke?

Reply Children
No Data