Controlling relationships

Hi,

My son is autistic and he has been in a relationship for 5 years, his girlfriend is also autistic. We have a close relationship and so we spoke a lot about consent, respect etc. At the start there were a lot of red flags but they were ignored or overlooked or excused because of his girlfriend’s autism. She spent most weekends at our house but the whole time she was here they were shut in his room. We barely saw her. Any attempts to spend time with us were shut down and the  times she was there, sone thing dramatic always happened to take them away. If we spent time alone with son she would call with a crisis and he would go running. They trauma bonded I guess so lots of chatting at the start. And then she started to criticise everything about his family - my close bond with him was seen as toxic and controlling, his brothers (also autistic) were seen as brats because they wanted to see her when she was here just to say hi and she didn’t want it. It got to the point where he felt we hadn’t ever liked him, had controlled him and not respected his boundaries. This isn’t true at all, he had privacy but he also has a lot of anxiety and didn’t like being alone and so he chose to spend most of his time with us because we supported him a lot with his needs. It’s all seen in a very black and white way, but it doesn’t paint a true picture and feels like his whole childhood has been re written by her.. I can now see what feels like attempts to isolate him from us. He has moved out and we barely see him, when we do it is tiny bits of time that are very controlled, or she will be sitting in the car outside waiting. She needs to know everything we said or read every message so she can tell him what we meant by it. He also looks to her for all guidance and support, it’s like she is his moral compass and decision maker. We asked about 2 years into the relationship if we could swap numbers with her and she told him she didn’t feel comfortable with it.

i don’t really know what to do or how to handle it. Looking back it was so obvious, but at the time we were so happy he was living life and goojg out again and he seemed happy. 

Are there any resources available to help with this, or has anyone experienced anything  similar? We just need to make sure they are both safe and that their relationship is healthy. They think it is, but unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be this way from the outside. They are adults - 20 now - but both of them are still very vulnerable, so there is a lot of resistance on their part for external help 

Parents
  • She may have high narcissistic traits, and traits of control and isolating her target, because as long as your son is still in contact with you, and getting input from you, she cannot completely control him, and she doesn't like that. They may control people, in order for the person to not leave them, so they can use them. She also seems like she's projecting her own bad traits onto your family, by claiming that your family are the ones who are "toxic and controlling" and who "doesn't respect his boundaries" when it's actually her who is doing all that to him. I would advise that you look up narcissistic abuse. Hopefully your son can see how she's not actually good for him, that she is warping his moral compass and his perception of reality, and he should take steps to form boundaries with her. Hopefully she'll lose interest in your son and find someone else to cater to her ever whim. 

• She may have high narcissistic traits, and traits of control and isolating her target, because as long as your son is still in contact with you, and getting input from you, she cannot completely control him, and she doesn't like that. They may control people, in order for the person to not leave them, so they can use them. She also seems like she's projecting her own bad traits onto your family, by claiming that your family are the ones who are "toxic and controlling" and who "doesn't respect his boundaries" when it's actually her who is doing all that to him. I would advise that you look up narcissistic abuse. Hopefully your son can see how she's not actually good for him, that she is warping his moral compass and his perception of reality, and he should take steps to form boundaries with her. Hopefully she'll lose interest in your son and find someone else to cater to her ever whim. 

Children
No Data